Babicz Spider . . . Any Good?

I've been playing for around 18 months now and have been having lessons for the last 3. I'm currently using a guitar that cost me £40 from a charity shop (new) and apparently it's a very good guitar for £40 but it is still a £40 guitar. My teacher has recomended that I think about upgrading as I'm progressing well and, luckily, I've just been given a bonus at work.

In theory I'm looking for a pure acoustic guitar and was going to spend up to £300, figuring that I'm not close to being good enough to justify anything more. I tried around a dozen different guitars in 2 or 3 different shops and was settling down on either a Yamaha FG720S or the Yahama FG730S when I saw the Babicz Spider. I do really like all black guitars (I discovered when trying some out) but tried it a liked the sound a lot.

Being fairly new I was having difficulty hearing the differences between a lot of the different guitars but the Spider sounded fuller, less 'stringy', a more wholistic sound (does any of this make any sense?) . . . generally it sounded like it wanted you to play it and play it hard.

Having decided that I could maybe spend a bit more I started looking at some higher priced guitars and eventually settled on the Yamaha LL6. It sounds much nicer than either the FG720S or FG730S. I eventually found a shop that had both the Spider and the LL6 in and was amazed in the difference in sound.

The problem I've got is this. I don't need an Electric/Acoustic guitar. I don't need all the fancy stuff that the Spider can do (like and adjustable action height) but I really do like the guitar. Is it worth spending just under £500 for it? I'm most worried that I'm not really experienced enough to tell if the Spider sounds 'good' . . . I know I like it but is that enough??? Should I just go down the more traditional Yamaha LL6 route???

Does anyone have any experience with any of these guitars . . . I'm going mad here, HELP!!

BTW, here's the web address for the Spider, http://www.babiczguitars.com/spider.shtml

The Spider is an amazing example of someone thinking outside the square and not just cloning what already exists. The way the strings are anchored and the neck is height adjustable is impressive. I have read good reviews of them in other guitar forums. The important factor in any purchase is the feel, action and ease of playing before considering price.

If all those are right then the tone is the next consideration. Price should not be the deciding factor but unfortunately is in reality in many cases.

It's a nifty design, works pretty well, apparently, although the string anchoring mostly seems gimmicky to me, and the theoretical background reads more like marketing than actual science I can get a grasp on. If it sounds the part, go for it!

Adjustable action by dealing with the neck angle (they adjust it vertically, rather than adjusting the angle, but the concept is the same, really) is hardly new, though; Howe-Orme were doing it a hundred years ago, and several other builders have rediscovered it. It is very intelligent, though, because you don't need to worry about neck reset costs, ever.

Wow, cool guitar. I wish I could find one around Dallas,Tx I would love to plug it in. You might not need electronics now man, but eventually they come in handy.. My only concern is how will the Spider age? I have a few old Yamahas, FG335 and FG365 and they really are nice guitars 20 years down the line. For my 2 cents those yamaha acoustics are a real bargain, but imagine the look on your friends faces when they see that Spider. I am not a genius when it comes to guitars like these other guys here, but sound is everything in a guitar, along with feel. Later man good luck

Edited by bhooks80

I am not sure if the design knocks me out, but it is an attempt to relieve a known issue with pinned bridges(deforming tops or requiring extra bracing to resist the twisting forces that occur with pinned bridges). Traditionalists tend to be suspicious of bridges that stray off the pinned format. This has kinda baffled me because they argue that you should stay with a proven format. When the pinned format is proven to cause many problems. Don't get me wrong, the pinned bridge is very effective and well thought out. I do really believe there is room to improve it though. I think Babicz has a nicely designed guitar with some very good features.

Peace,Rich

Pinned or pinless, the torque/twisting force you get is there, nonetheless. What you do get is more stress in shear on the glue line between bridge and top. Thing is, I don't view the torque on the top as a problem, per se, but as part of what makes a flattop sound like a flattop.

The alternative, where there's very little to no torque and mostly downward pressure, is called an archtop, with it's traditional tailpiece setup. Babicz's approach is, in part, a glorified tailpiece approach, but one where the strings just get anchored in the top, and in which the top is then 'tensioned' by said string pressure. You still get a degree of torque in front of each string line, but it's spread over a wider area. Whether this does to the sound what he claims it does...beats me. Whatever it is, he's found a way to make guitars that sound good to many people, look unique, and he's managing to sell them. More power to him!

Pinned or pinless, the torque/twisting force you get is there, nonetheless. What you do get is more stress in shear on the glue line between bridge and top. Thing is, I don't view the torque on the top as a problem, per se, but as part of what makes a flattop sound like a flattop.

The alternative, where there's very little to no torque and mostly downward pressure, is called an archtop, with it's traditional tailpiece setup. Babicz's approach is, in part, a glorified tailpiece approach, but one where the strings just get anchored in the top, and in which the top is then 'tensioned' by said string pressure. You still get a degree of torque in front of each string line, but it's spread over a wider area. Whether this does to the sound what he claims it does...beats me. Whatever it is, he's found a way to make guitars that sound good to many people, look unique, and he's managing to sell them. More power to him!

I agree that you need the ability to get rotational action, else you are getting closer to an Archtop effectively. The key to me in maintaining that function is in the increased clamping you get by using a stronger break angle(pinned or pinless) vs an archtop that has a much slighter break angle. Of course this is all opinion. I have been playing with my own bridge designs, and my opinions are based somewhat on my observations. That certainly does not make my opinion correct.

Peace,Rich

• 2 weeks later...
I've been playing for around 18 months now and have been having lessons for the last 3. I'm currently using a guitar that cost me £40 from a charity shop (new) and apparently it's a very good guitar for £40 but it is still a £40 guitar. My teacher has recomended that I think about upgrading as I'm progressing well and, luckily, I've just been given a bonus at work.

In theory I'm looking for a pure acoustic guitar and was going to spend up to £300, figuring that I'm not close to being good enough to justify anything more. I tried around a dozen different guitars in 2 or 3 different shops and was settling down on either a Yamaha FG720S or the Yahama FG730S when I saw the Babicz Spider. I do really like all black guitars (I discovered when trying some out) but tried it a liked the sound a lot.

Being fairly new I was having difficulty hearing the differences between a lot of the different guitars but the Spider sounded fuller, less 'stringy', a more wholistic sound (does any of this make any sense?) . . . generally it sounded like it wanted you to play it and play it hard.

Having decided that I could maybe spend a bit more I started looking at some higher priced guitars and eventually settled on the Yamaha LL6. It sounds much nicer than either the FG720S or FG730S. I eventually found a shop that had both the Spider and the LL6 in and was amazed in the difference in sound.

The problem I've got is this. I don't need an Electric/Acoustic guitar. I don't need all the fancy stuff that the Spider can do (like and adjustable action height) but I really do like the guitar. Is it worth spending just under £500 for it? I'm most worried that I'm not really experienced enough to tell if the Spider sounds 'good' . . . I know I like it but is that enough??? Should I just go down the more traditional Yamaha LL6 route???

Does anyone have any experience with any of these guitars . . . I'm going mad here, HELP!!

BTW, here's the web address for the Spider, http://www.babiczguitars.com/spider.shtml

I had the good fortune of meeting Jeff Babicz at a local guitar shop in New Paltz, New York. He is a very nice guy and gave me the name of his local tonewood supplier. I have not had direct experience with his guitars but my guitar teacher plays one that is owned by a guy in his band. He likes it and I have a women that I work with that owns one also but she is a beginner. I am new to this so the design is not something that I can make a judgement on. They are pretty expensive and I would probably either build something or go for something more traditional. He is local his main office is in Poughkeepsie, New York. I think the Spiders are built overseas.

Yes, they're built in Indonesia, I believe. I've looked into them, but they're only available in 1 store about 25 mi. from me in Middletown, NY (billsterl would know, and another in Newburgh, NY) . Anyway the theory, design,and features are impressive. Unfortunately the only two I was able to try weren't very impressive. One's neck was bowed quite a bit, and the other just didn't feel right to me. However, that doesn't mean they won't feel nice to someone else!

Unfortunately the only two I was able to try weren't very impressive. One's neck was bowed quite a bit, and the other just didn't feel right to me. However, that doesn't mean they won't feel nice to someone else!

That is sad to hear. I hope the Spiders are made with at least good quality control. I would imagine that overseas built models built poorly could crush a fairly new name to the larger markets like Babicz.

Peace,Rich

Unfortunately the only two I was able to try weren't very impressive. One's neck was bowed quite a bit, and the other just didn't feel right to me. However, that doesn't mean they won't feel nice to someone else!

That is sad to hear. I hope the Spiders are made with at least good quality control. I would imagine that overseas built models built poorly could crush a fairly new name to the larger markets like Babicz.

Peace,Rich

:D I got an email yesterday they are having a special sale. Award Winning Babicz Identity Series Dreadnought model: ID-DRW-06-ND

SPECIAL OFFER -- only $688.00 -- with Fishman Neo-D Pick-up!

For a limited time only

www.babiczguitars.com

I think (DON'T quote me because my memory is a bit faulty on this) I spoke to Jeff awhile back as he's a local guy and he stated they were made in Indonesia under his specs and quality control. I was interested at the time in seeing one and trying it out, so it may have been 2 years ago. Similar to Guild building gits in China "under their quality control" and getting what you get, that's why they came out with a new line of American made ones. The last guitar of his I saw was the past fall/winter at Alto's in Middletown, NY (some of you may be familiar with the place).

Anyway, I'm trying not to rain on anyone's enthusiasm, it's just my very short experience with the product. The sale may a great deal, just make sure you can return it if not satisfied and with minimum cost to you. Good Luck in your search for a good acoustic! :D

• 15 years later...