Build: Mahogany/wenge Thunderbird

It looks great, but how is the balance?

UPDATE: The 'Bird is complete apart from a control cavity cover, bit of fret dressing and a new nut (temporary Corian nut in place). I finished the body with Tru-oil and beeswax over Briwax Jacobean Oak applied using sandpaper to "clog" the pores. A real caveman grainfilling tactic! The pickups are wired as two straight volumes like a Jazz Bass but with no tone pot. The jack is a locking Neutrik jack (thanks Setch!) which I may still recess slightly. The heel position didn't get moved back any more as it's comfortable enough for me to work in the upper registers and this sorted the balance out nicely. I'm a little disappointed I couldn't use speed style knobs, but I think I can probably work around this....my last addition will probably be a green LED to show that the instrument is "active" when plugged in. Man oh man, do those EMG 35DCs sound unbelievable or what....?!

Right. I'm going to build another one but this time the originally stated black and green 'Bird to match our current band black/green theme! Additionally, does anybody know if the Firebird body is dimensionally the same as the Thunderbird? I love Maryhillrat's Firebird and might be tempted to make some headway into that territory as well and seeing as I have a template....

thunderbird1_17_safe.jpg

Headstock (yes, I know the nut is temporary....)

Inlaying and fretboard stepping

The beauty shot - a la Jester ;-)

Heel area

Beauty shot, first inversion!