Trying To Get Those Emg Sounds, Please Help Me.

paguitarist

I have a problem and, God willing, maybe youy guys can help me. I am a fan of David Gilmour, and love his Delicate Sounds of Thunder and Division Bell (PULSE) tour tones, and the one thing that is important for the sound is his use of EMGs and more importantly his use of the EMG SPC and EXG, but having a limited budget I can't afford the prices ($299 for the EMG-DG pickguard). Are there any circuits I can build to match them, or does anyone know where I can get schematics for them or something? Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks

PA

Ummmm. As much as I hate to say this, but David Gilmour's tone isn't purely down to EMGs....a lot of it is down to him being David Gilmour! Tone is in the fingers as much as it is in the instrument.

As for replicating the items in question - it would be cheaper and far better just to buy them.

Yes, I do know that David's tone comes from his fingers, and playing style not to mention loads of outboard effects. I still am just looking to take it one step further and get the sound of his red guitar. I still would like to check out doing it myself as that seems to add an extra fun element.

Well, his tone not only comes from the $299 set of EMGs, for his later stuff, but also the Pete Cornish-modified Hiwatts and custom effects pedals. Start throwing that name around and you'll be talking a lot more than $299.

What kind of gear do you have on hand? Nothing's going to come close to that studio sound, but I bet you can adapt with a Boss DS-1 Distortion, an EQ, some chorus, and a good compressor and wah pedal.

Do yourself a favor and save your pennies, get the real deal. I've seen them go on eBay for closer to $225-$250. Because EMG pickups have their own preamp built into the pickup, you won't be able to replicate it without trying out a lot of passive pickups and buffered active preamps.

In my opinion you'll get closer to someone's sound by studying and practicing their technique. Ever notice how certain people sound like themselves no matter what gear they play? That's what I'm talking about. The sound comes more from neck grip, attack, the pick position, etc. You master that, you got the sound. As a side note, the more players' technique you can play, the more you'll develop your own style incorporating those techniques.

This just my opinion, and it's worth exactly what it cost. :D

Totally on there Marksound :-D The analogy of an author applies also - whatever the name on the front of the book, the quality of the print or the paper it's printed onto, the content shines through. Better gear does help develop technique through the whole "feedback in learning from the sound" to a degree, but not as much as general study and practice of course.

After really thinking about it, I figured noone but me will realy know the difference anyway so I will just stick with the Pink Floyd tone that I have already.

Edit: and yes marksound and prostheta I also have to agree that playing and tone really does come from the fingers

Edited by paguitarist