When To Add Binding

Vinny

Im at the finishing stages of my son's vee, there will be binding around the Blueburst body. What would be the proper order of base staining, spray bursting, binding install, scraping and top clear coat? Do I add the binding first or stain first? Im worried that I might stain the white binding blue by accident. Thanks, Vinny

9bindingroute.jpg

I would bind it first...then use premium 3M striping tape and tape off the binding...then stain it and if any stain bleeds through which won't be much you can scrape the binding with a single edge razor blade using your thumb as a depth stop. If you intend to burst it after staining I would put a couple of top coats on first...then again tape the binding...shoot the burst color...pull the tape and again if any bled through scrape it again...then pour the top coats to it.

It depends on what kind of binding you are using. With plastic you don't really have to worry about stain as much and the tape method mentioned above works fine. But if your using wood bindings the tape does almost nothing to stop the stain. It leaks under like nobody's business. What you have to do is tape off everything except the binding, and either spray or brush on a few coats of your finish/shellac. Then remove the tape and continue with the staining. Now the stain wont penetrate the bindings that are sealed with finish.