Hot Rod In Neck Through

The usual place for adjustment is at the headstock. I DID make a neckthru once with the adjustment at the neck joint just for s**ts and giggles. Its an unusual design, my first guitar and I like playing it the most out of all my other guitars.

Edited by Southpa

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Truss_rods/Adj...75.html#details]

how would you be able to put this in a neck through guitar. where would the bottom rod stick out so that it could be adjusted

I used the spoke wheel on my neck-through bass. I routed the truss rod slot to end at the end of the fretboard, then routed and chiseled a cavity large enough for the spoke wheel, so the spoke wheel is right at the end of the fretboard. I'm afraid I don't have a good pic handy, but I hope you get the idea. I've also seen a couple basses here recently that had a spoke wheel cavity in between frets. A pretty neat idea.

Personally, I wouldn't do it with the slotted or allen head truss rods though, since you'd need a big cavity to get the tool in there (unless you rig it so that it can be accessed by removing a pickup).

One word of warning: I installed the truss rod and fretboard before final sanding and finishing, since I wanted the neck to be square when I clamped down the fretboard. I had to be real careful about the spoke wheel when sanding. I masked it off, but still ended up nicking it a little bit. Just something to take into consideration.

Hope that helps.

Heres how I did mine. Notice the heart shaped hole in the pickguard.

Pickguard.jpg

I plan to extend the fretboard into a 24 fret. The additional piece will be screwed down using the two top pickguard screws (countersunk into the wood) and I might add a couple more screws down below. I will epoxy a fret over the joint between the two pieces. I may be covering the adjustment hole but how often do you really need to make this adjustment? Anyway, the piece can be removed easily without "destringing" the guitar.