My Lapsteel Version

MCH

Awhile back someone posted a project of a homemade lapsteel. I had been interested in doing one; so here is my take.

The top is 3/4" mahogany and the bottom half is 1 1/2" clear pine. It's a 22 1/2" scale. My fretboard (no frets) is inlaid alternating oak and walnut for positioning. The nut and bridge I'm using a 1/2" copper pipe with a 1/2" mahogany dowel inside. I made the bridge moveable to help with any need to change intonation. Currently it is not fixed; getting some strings to finalize the intonation position. The strings are body thru with purleheart ferruls. Right now I have a 8 K ohm output humbucker, but will eventually get a P-90. Unless the humbucker meets my sound.

Just need to get the strings and finalize my electronics. Then it'll be time to give it a whirl. Never played one. A whole new learning experience.

lapsteelfinishedrp5.jpg

lapsteelfinished2ad5.jpg

Great work! I'm not sure if it was my lap steel project you're referring to, but you certainly did a better job than me anyhow. Love the alternating "fret board". As for intonation-- you don't have to intonate slide instruments. Just position it at exactly scale length.

The shape looks vaguely familiar. *cough* :D

Very nice. I like the natural wood look. What did you finish it with? Can we have closeups of the bridge and nut areas?

The finish is multi coats of poly, wet sanded in between coats. What is it you need to know about the nut and bridge? It's basically a 1/2" copper pipe with a mahogany dowel. One side is flattend to couple with body; this gives about 3/8"+ string height. Bridge is the same as the nut but has an aluminum plate holding the bridge. The plate can be screwed to the body. I have slots in the plate to allow for adjustment if you want for intonation; probably not necessary. I found if you slant the bridge it is pretty close to proper intonation.

You don't need any intonation compensation whatsoever. We set our bridge saddles at different lengths to compensate for pressing down (and therefore stretching) the strings. Since you're using a tone bar (ie. NOT fretting), You can locate your bridge at exactly scale length for all strings.

Had a chance to string'er up yet? How's the humbucker?

Greg

Hi mate nice work,I am building my second one at the moment , purely for pleasure as there are so easy to build compaired to a guitar. is there a preferance in the lapsteel world between your style and the guitar shape style?? Same for number of PUP's , not many two pup jobs out there. I don't play them either so I am a bit ignorant as to what people want in them..Kev

My first lapsteel