Saddle Options

I don't think aluminum would be a good material as it would wear too quickly at the contact point. Use a bone or Tusq saddle as they are proven.

Never seen aluminium used as an acoustic saddle....

My initial reaction is try it, what have you got to loose!!!

It'll cost you 10c and if it's awful you have learned something and can change it out for bone

if it's great you can patent it, make millions ang gloat for ever!!!

Brass will certainly brighten the sound and is hard wearing.

Can you explain what you mean by hard wearing? :D

ever tried a pair of brass pants??

No, are these the new style or something? lol

It's all the rage in Paris man!

...but seriously he meant that it doesn't wear out that fast.

Quick rule of thumb on saddle (and bridge) weight.

A heavy saddle doesn't move as much or as quickly. therefore the BASS will be reduced (and it will SOUND brighter (but quieter) than with a lighter saddle

I built a cedar rosewood jumbo that was REALLY Bassy.

bras bridge pins quietened it but brightened it too.

Aluminium is light, so it shouldn't affect the tone from bone........... (I guess!!!)

Quick rule of thumb on saddle (and bridge) weight.

A heavy saddle doesn't move as much or as quickly. therefore the BASS will be reduced (and it will SOUND brighter (but quieter) than with a lighter saddle

I built a cedar rosewood jumbo that was REALLY Bassy.

bras bridge pins quietened it but brightened it too.

Aluminium is light, so it shouldn't affect the tone from bone........... (I guess!!!)

I agree a heavier bridge will take more energy to set in motion, it will not react as quickly. It will have more potential after it is set in motion so it will tend to keep moving longer. Kind of like adding compression. Down side will be loss of seperation, dynamics and generally lower volume. Percieved volume of lows could actually become stronger if higher frequencies(lower energy) are dampend enough to change your equalization. Lows seem to love compression, but highs tend to become harsh and ugly without good dynamic range to breath.

However, this is all relative to the soundboard and bracing stiffness and mass. So you really have to make these assumptions based on a well balanced system to begin with. If you had a heavy bridge on a light, flexable soundboard you are already in a bad way. Adding weight is going to make the situation slightly worse. If you have a bridge that was too light on the same soundboard it may really help bring it in line. One result is bad one is great. General rules of thumb are great, but you have to realise where you are at to begin with else the bassline is not there.

There are also some guys that believe in fine tuning material like brass(or other metals) with holes and notches in an effort to maintain seperation(of string energy) from string to string. This is supposed to be an effeort to avoid vibrations cancelling each other out from string to string. Dunno if I fully buy into the idea(although it makes sense to a degree), but I could see how you could possibly fine tune the weight of a metal nut.

Peace,Rich