How To Locate Proper Position For P'up Route?

They is no "proper" position as such unless you are using a LP pickguard which is spaced to suit two pickups.

The closer to the bridge you go the more trebley the guitar will sound on the bridge pup.

It may be a case of positioning it so it has the same gap between pup and fingerboard and pup and bridge so it looks right aesthetically.

They is no "proper" position as such unless you are using a LP pickguard which is spaced to suit two pickups.

The closer to the bridge you go the more trebley the guitar will sound on the bridge pup.

It may be a case of positioning it so it has the same gap between pup and fingerboard and pup and bridge so it looks right aesthetically.

But isn't there a "better" position harmonically? I remember for a neck it's at the 24th fret...but I can't remember for the brige p'up.

But isn't there a "better" position harmonically? I remember for a neck it's at the 24th fret...but I can't remember for the brige p'up.

Rubbish! I'm a firm believer that there is no "proper" pickup placement. So long as your scale length and bridge placement are correct, throw in as many pickups as you can fit! Acousticraft is spot-on, though, the closer to the bridge, the more treble-y the guitar will sound, the closer to the fretboard the warmer and bassier. It's whatever sounds good to you, hell you can make a guitar with one pickup smack dab in the middle, if you wanted to. For spacing with humbuckers, though, I like the neck pickup right up against the fretboard, an the bridge pickup one-humbucker-height away. Theoretically, draw out the plan like you want to fit in 3 hums (with their rings, of course) side by side by side, and just don't route for the middle one. On my 24-fretter, it turns out to be like 3/4" or something like that.

Alternative way to find pickup placement. Pick up guitar with bridge pickup sound you enjoy. Measure distance from pickup to bridge.

If it ain't broke, why fix it? :D