Volume Boost

wickerwolf

Hey, what would be need (if its possible) to have a spst (on/of) switch on a guitar that when flicked to on boasts the signal/volume/output say be 1db?

Its for cutting thru durring solo's that bit extra. I know there are pedals that do this but is this something that would be possible?

Thanks, Wolf :D

Absolutely. Any time you have a boost, though, it's going to be active electronics, meaning a battery. There are actually quite a few aftermarket products that will do what you want to accomplish, including the famous Afterburner by EMG. The afterburner works with passive pickups as well, if I remember correctly. Guitarfetish.com carries a few things that fit the bill-- just avoid the amp-emulator/"distortion" units. 1dB of boost isn't nearly enough to give yourself the "cut through the mix" boost you need, though, so the 20dB and 25dB units some of these places sell isn't completely out of line.

Artec makes some stuff, too: http://artecsound.com/active%20circuit.html I'm not sure if any of them are pure level-boosters, though.

Absolutely. Any time you have a boost, though, it's going to be active electronics, meaning a battery. There are actually quite a few aftermarket products that will do what you want to accomplish, including the famous Afterburner by EMG. The afterburner works with passive pickups as well, if I remember correctly. Guitarfetish.com carries a few things that fit the bill-- just avoid the amp-emulator/"distortion" units. 1dB of boost isn't nearly enough to give yourself the "cut through the mix" boost you need, though, so the 20dB and 25dB units some of these places sell isn't completely out of line.

Artec makes some stuff, too: http://artecsound.com/active%20circuit.html I'm not sure if any of them are pure level-boosters, though.

Artecs great, i purchased the Artec QDDv2 last month and it works great, not as much distortion as my liking but it does exactly what they said it would so i carnt complain. Im going to be getting the Artec BCU unit next month to see how that goes. Ill have a look round on guitarfetish now to see what i can find the guitar this is for at the moment has 1 9v battery in it placed in the trem springs cavity. But im contemplating getting a battery box and then just routing the guitar, which would make it alot easier to change the battery if it goes at a gig etc.

Edit: Just came across this http://store.guitarfetish.com/25migubociti.html would something like that be suitable?

Edited by wickerwolf