Help With Telecaster 5 Way Wiring

TelZilla

So, I thought I had my partscaster all done.

It's a '95 MIM James Burton, which I painted Almond Krylon. I'm using a neck humbucker from GFS (4 wire), a Fralin Blues Special for the bridge and a five way switch.

I'm using this wiring diagram from the US Fat Tele: http://fender.com/support/diagrams/p...000_02BPg2.pdf

And here's what the 5 way (I'm using a single wafer superswitch) is supposed to do: http://fender.com/support/diagrams/p...000_02BPg4.pdf

So when I plugged it in, I'm only getting sound from switch position 5 (both coils of the neck bucker)- No sound, even from the neck PUP, in any other position. I did not do the most elegant wiring job, so I had to squish a bit to get everything in the control cavity.

Also, the jack felt a little funny (I didn't get a good "Click" when the cord went in)

My questions:

-I assume the fact that I'm getting some sound from the neck Pup rules out the jack as the culprit. Is this right?

-I haven't had the chance to take the control plate off and see what's screwed up under there (I tried to quadruple check everything before I screwed the plate on). I'm hoping it will be something obvious, but if it's not, is there anywhere in particular I should start? Basically, what would explain the fact that I'm getting a tone from one switch position, but none whatsoever form any others? Is there a process of elimination I can use to pinpoint my error more quickly?

Sorry , no pix, but it was late, and I was tired, and it was all I could do not to start breaking s**t.

Thanks all.

I'm using this wiring diagram from the US Fat Tele: http://fender.com/support/diagrams/p...000_02BPg2.pdf

And here's what the 5 way (I'm using a single wafer superswitch) is supposed to do: http://fender.com/support/diagrams/p...000_02BPg4.pdf

Neither link seems to be correct.

My questions:

-I assume the fact that I'm getting some sound from the neck Pup rules out the jack as the culprit. Is this right?

Yes... though, since it feels "a little funny", you may still want to double check it.

-I haven't had the chance to take the control plate off and see what's screwed up under there (I tried to quadruple check everything before I screwed the plate on). I'm hoping it will be something obvious, but if it's not, is there anywhere in particular I should start? Basically, what would explain the fact that I'm getting a tone from one switch position, but none whatsoever form any others? Is there a process of elimination I can use to pinpoint my error more quickly?

Sorry , no pix, but it was late, and I was tired, and it was all I could do not to start breaking s**t.

Thanks all.

It may be difficult for anyone to help without the diagrams or a snapshot of your wiring. The fact that the neck pup is coming out alone in the correct position would indicate that you've oriented it correctly. With even a slightly complex wiring job, it really helps to be EXTRA neat... if anything, it makes troubleshooting easier. If you can get the correct links for the PDF files, I'm sure someone here (or me) could help you out.

And don't break anything - you don't know hell until you've tried installing a Sustainiac in a non-standard guitar!

If your guitar is shielded, try to check, this is difficult I know, that the shield is not shorting out those partcular switch lugs.

With the little room available and the extra 5-way.

Take the control plate off and try like that if your axe is shielded.

If not check all ground connections first.

You didn't mix up tone and signal side on the switch.

If one position is ok, the jack is ok indeed

hope this helps

mm