Lacquer Finish

Hey guys,

I am doing some research for my first bass. I work in a finish shop. We mostly do trim and doors. My question is can I use the same lacquer on my bass that I use for regular trim work? I'm doing a neckthough, so should I finish the neck separately? I think I read somewhere that you're supposed to finish the fret board separately, but if so, with what? Any help would be appreciated. If there are any full tutorial of how to finish a neckthru from start to finish, I'd appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Ryan

I read your other posting in the sherwin-williams thread that you use alot of pre-cat nitro at your workplace.

You could use that without any problems.

In fact, what you could do is a search on different finishing materials , to give you the low-down of the

pros and cons of each system.

I've used Pre-cat nitro before on a build and gotten great results from it. Although with any product , there are inherent

precautions to follow in getting the most out of it. ( But considering you use it a lot in your job, you should

be well aware of them)

cheers, Stu

I see your from Aus and I use Aussie made Mirotone products in NZ. For all my guitars I use pre-cat Microcat PC3220 laquer which I find is easy to spray and gives a hard durable finish.

I mix in the tints 10% max, with the laquer which gives an even coating. On the fingerboard I use Danish oil which rubs on with a cloth and dries quickly and is easy to clean and refinish at a later date.

I do not believe they are the same thing, but both should give you a very similar quality finish (buffable to resemble glass).

I'm doing a neckthough, so should I finish the neck separately?

If you'd like. It would certainly be easier to go at all of the instrument in one take.

I think I read somewhere that you're supposed to finish the fret board separately, but if so, with what?

Unless your fingerboard is maple or some other kind of white wood, I would recommend not using laquer on the fingerboard. There are plenty of oils out there you could use to clean and maintain your fingerboard. I'm trying to locate a white mineral oil to give that a try for fingerboards, since that's the primary ingredient in GHS fastfret. I have used the ColorTone fretboard oil from Stewmac with great results. The ColorTone stuff does dull quickly, so I'm guessing you'd have to re-oil and buff every few weeks.

BassProject35.jpg

I'm doing an ebony fretboard. I've read in alembics forums that sometimes they don't even finish the fretboards. Does that sound right? I do know that most of the basses that I've played don't have a glossy finish on the fretboard, maybe not one at all. Or maybe just an oil finish? Does the oil protect the wood enough? Since ebony is so hard, I would almost lean towards the no finish route? What do you guys think?

Also, I'm thinking about making my nut out of black bone. Would I finish that with the lacquer or not?

Thanks,

Ryan

Well, the finish helps keep the wood clean. If you never bother with doing anything on the fretboard, it will build up dust and grim and look like complete ass over time. As said earlier, unless your fingerboard is maple or a white wood (which it isn't) I would not recommend a laquer finish. Like white clothes, these white woods will take stains very easily and look awful over time. I recommend a finish on a fingerboard simply because it looks like it is taken care of. You get to seeing plenty of Rosewood and Ebony fingerboards over the years and you'll understand.

The nut will not require a finish. Do not spray the finish with the nut on there, if you ever have to remove it, you'll have a very high chance of chipping and destroying the finish surrounding the nut.