Pickup Making.

AXofBSR

I know that the 5000 turns of a Tri-V gets 6.4k (because of the ceramic magnets)... I actually don't want the humbucker to be super-hot because after it gets so hot the distortion (I've found) loses definition and turns to mush...

i dont think the magnets have an affect on the resistance do they ? (when its wound it wont have a magnet attached)

I know that the 5000 turns of a Tri-V gets 6.4k (because of the ceramic magnets)... I actually don't want the humbucker to be super-hot because after it gets so hot the distortion (I've found) loses definition and turns to mush...

i dont think the magnets have an affect on the resistance do they ? (when its wound it wont have a magnet attached)

oops, I didn't refresh my page before I edited... I want to make a humbucker as i described above...

the magnet still shouldnt effect the resistance humbucker or not, you could take 2 trisonics apart and wire them as a humbucker (and split the coils half way thru) that would make it half the resistance on each coil totaling about 6.4k

I'm afraid I'm not following you... Ceramic magnets create a higher output because they're stronger than Alnicos...

I'm actually thinking of modeling it after an invader...

Edited by AXofBSR

Yeah, all else being equal, ceramic magnets will cause higher output, but that's not what the resistance of the pickup is. The resistance of the pickup is PURELY the DC resistance (I guess it might be the complex impedance, but still) of the wire on the coil, and is not a measure of output, pickup strength, or anything else. It's just a measure of the DC resistance of the coil. It depends on the length of wire used and the type of wire used, but not on the magnets.

Edited by jnewman

For more info on the factors that affect the output of a pickup have a look here. OK, some minor errors in my post there but the basic physics are there for everyone to take part of

I know that the 5000 turns of a Tri-V gets 6.4k (because of the ceramic magnets)

Don’t know about that. As stated before the magnet have nothing to do with the DC resistance, and the DC resistance have very little to do with output (se the link above). Just for reference (I have never ever worked with AWG44) but my T90s are wound (AWG42) to 12000 turns and have a DC resistance of slightly less than 8 kohms. Makes me wounder if 5000 turns of AWG44 will make a coil with 6.4 kohms

... I actually don't want the humbucker to be super-hot because after it gets so hot the distortion (I've found) loses definition and turns to mush...

I agree totally about your thoughts about hot pickups. As long as we are talking passive pickups most “Über-hot” pickups loose definition. But you stated before that you wanted a hot HB...

how could I tonally make something comparable to what would be described as a "Trisonic-Bucker"...

I'm actually thinking of modeling it after an invader...

And that will probably not sound anything like a “Trisonic-Bucker”