Analine To Tint Poly Urethane?

kench

Hello.. I was wondering if I can tint clear poly urethane with analine dyes. To achieve transculent or sunburst finish for instance. I have analine powders with several colors.. but poly's are not sold in cheap small packs so I wanted to ask on here before buying a poly.

Or should I use spray analine dissolved in alcohol (or water) for color coats, and then spray poly only for clear coats?

I haven't a clue whether you can use aniline with polyeurethane, but if you are going to buy and use the poly anyway as clear top coats, why not do a trial with a cupful of poly and a small amount of dye? The you'll know for sure.

Denis

I haven't a clue whether you can use aniline with polyeurethane, but if you are going to buy and use the poly anyway as clear top coats, why not do a trial with a cupful of poly and a small amount of dye? The you'll know for sure.

Denis

Actually I'm a bit undecisive on refinishing my guitar. I had finished it with shellac (as stain and color coat) then nitro clean on top.. But I was not 100% satisfied. This time I want to try Poly and I'm trying to find out the posibilities with Poly.

Denis

Actually I'm a bit undecisive on refinishing my guitar. I had finished it with shellac (as stain and color coat) then nitro clean on top.. But I was not 100% satisfied. This time I want to try Poly and I'm trying to find out the posibilities with Poly.

What weren't you satisfied with, exactly, that you want Poly for? If it's warm colours, don't bother. If it's water clear type stuff, you're more likely to come out happy.

Denis

What weren't you satisfied with, exactly, that you want Poly for? If it's warm colours, don't bother. If it's water clear type stuff, you're more likely to come out happy.

Actually it is the color transition to the edges which I was not satisfied with. I had added burst after I finished it with shellac. With an amber aerosol can to match the mahogany on sides and back.. Color matched perfect but it is not transculent so it didnt make a good burst. And the wood grain doesn't show on dark edges. Then I bought a spray gun and did the clear coats with it and also used it on many things. Now I'm thinking of refinishing my guitar to a similar color but with true transculent finishes and Poly seems to be the fastest and the most durable way. And besides I want to try Poly :D

Here's a picture of it (It looks better in person though, camera flash ruins pictures)

Picture036.jpg