Design For Next Build

I'm starting to get to the end of my first project, and I'm already getting antsy about making another one. This time I'm thinking of an 8 string, as their starting to become poplular, and i like the idea of it. I've got this wierd cutaway violin shape that I drew out full size.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y108/spie...X/guitar001.jpg

I'm thinking of having a rosewood through the body neck, and a chambered mahogany body with f holes, an arched sitka spruce top, and flame a maple arched back and sides. That and an ebony fretboard with 24 frets, 25 inc scale, and two humbuckers. I know this sounds really ambitious but what the heck, I might as well shoot for a nice guitar.

Has anyone done this yet? Any input is great.

Edited by the telecaster kid

I say modify the cutaway a little, it looks a bit off somehow...

Also it would look better if the neck followed the centerline. But its a good start.

And yeah, I have seen similar designs before. George Harrison's (i think it was his) violin bass for example.

(Edit: on 2nd thought it was probably pauls)

Edited by Ben

Draw it to scale first. Get the scale, string spacing, pickup location, neck location etc. figured out before you go any further. Building an 8-string guitar will not be cheap.

Yah, I did a little research and found out that 8 string pickups and bridges are almost impossible to come by, so I think I'll go 7, with the extra high string. I don't really want the low string anyway.

Personally, I would make the waist narrower, and have each bout curve farther in towards the center of the body (if that makes sense...)

I think it's no secret (or coincidence :D ) that good-looking solidbodies resemble a female outline. (Think Tele, Strat). So, for me, this body doesn't have that... but it's a matter of taste, so if you like it, go with it. Note that real violins, violas, etc. DO have this "feminine" figure.

I suggest that you draw the centerline and scale length first... then see how your shape relates to it.