Guitar Bluebook

Southpa

Bluebook values are next to useless these days.Ebay has killed the guitar resale value.You can buy a Jackson USA for $1600 at guitar center,then try to sell it back to them 3 months later and all they will offer is $500.(true story)They say it's because of Ebay,but regardless,guitar center can suck it.In my opinion,if they can only give back $500 for it,then they should have sold it to me brand new for under $1000.

Guitar traders have turned into used car salesmen.

Ya, I totally agree with you there. But thats how everyone seems to make money these days, by being cheap and greedy at the same time. I AM a bit dubious of the whole "Blue Book" system...for anything. In most cases its worth what someone is willing to pay for it... :D . My interest is more for identification purposes and just finding out whether or not some guitars that cross my path (lots these days) are worth the effort and expense to put back into working condition. I mean if they are even listed there then that makes them a worthwhile project to me, and to someone else.

Edited by Southpa

• 2 weeks later...
Bluebook values are next to useless these days.Ebay has killed the guitar resale value.

Yes and no. Some guitars continue to go up in price. Take the upswing in values of the Ibanez lawsuit guitars over the last 2 years. Heck, even the late 80's RG's and S guitars are swinging up in price now, even on ebay. It all depends on what you have and what you want, but as a rule, gear less than 5 years old that is going to take a decent hit, especially the high dollar stuff without a huge following. A $1500 Gibson or Fender is going to hold more of its value than a $1500 Jackson in the short term because there's just a larger pool of perspective buyers.

You can buy a Jackson USA for $1600 at guitar center,then try to sell it back to them 3 months later and all they will offer is $500.(true story)They say it's because of Ebay,but regardless,guitar center can suck it.In my opinion,if they can only give back $500 for it,then they should have sold it to me brand new for under $1000.

Guitar traders have turned into used car salesmen.

Ouch. We're not all bad. I'm completely honest about what I have, and my prices are more than fair, especially since I sell mostly via auction or my local craigslist. When I part out a guitar, I charge less than Ibanez or even Rich at Ibanezrules.com wants for the part. I'm usually the cheapest seller on ebay as well. The key is finding good deals. For instance, I had someone contact me about buying their S7420 with Ibanez Universe case. He wanted nearly what the case was worth, so I bought it, and the guitar is in near mint condition. I'll sell both of them for about 3-4 times what I paid for them, even at ebay prices, should I choose to sell them (I'm kinda partial to the blue of the flamed maple top, as it's the same color as my daughter's eyes and was made the year she was born).

But I do agree. There are some guys that are just worthless, but there are also good people like Ashley (Ashbass on ebay) or Chris at Chrisguitars.com (though that guy NEVER answers his e-mail).

I was considering buying a Guitar Blue Book but I'm not sure if this particular one would be worthwhile. It was published in 1996, don't ya think values might have changed by now? :D I'll keep looking but if anyone has anything more up to date I'd be interested.

I have a subscription to the online version. It's up to date and pretty accurate price wise, but it does have some issues that should be addressed, like it doesn't understand the differences between and ibanez S470 made in 2002 and one made in 2003 as far as price goes, even though equipment changed in those years.