Telecaster Bridge Pickup Placement?

Apologies if this has been covered before. I did a little searching, and couldn't find it.

I'm working on templates for my Tonemaster guitar, and I'm having trouble locating the bridge pickup. A little measuring from images on the net and some precise "eyeballing" puts the center of my pickup at about 24" from the nut. Could anyone confirm this for me?

That's about right for the polepiece of the treble side of a standard slanted tele bridge pickup. The bass side is somewhere aroung 23.5". That'll get you close enough for rock'n'roll at least. I couldn't find a proper measuring tape, but I used a 12" straight ruler and I know that 24" isn't -exact- but it's pretty dang close. Maybe more like 24 1/8".

Greg

If you're going for traditional tele bridge pickup placement, I would just measure from the other end - I know that Stewmac has drawings with measurements for at least one of their replacement tele bridges with the plate, use those measurements to find the pickup mounting position and work from there.

As long as the scale length is the same, it won't matter. But if you're not using a Fender scale (25.5"), then yeah-- you'd have to measure from the "ideal brdige" (not the intonated bridge, which won't produce consistent or useful results).

So, if your guitar is actually 25" or 24.75" scale, you'd measure back from that point rather than up from the nut.

Greg