Guitar Design

Soon I'm going to start building an Ibanez RG-style guitar and, because this is my first guitar that I am designing, I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions if I should change it. This guitar will be used for everything from rock-and-roll to heavy metal, and here are the specs:

-Original Floyd Rose

-Basswood body

-5 piece maple/walnut neck

-Ebony fingerboard

-DiMarzio D Sonic + Air Norton: same as John Petrucci

I know that the Floyd Rose and 5-piece neck are going to make this a little harder to make, but I've done some wood working before and I'm going to buy routing templates for the FR and everything.

Thanks.

Soon I'm going to start building an Ibanez RG-style guitar and, because this is my first guitar that I am designing, I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions if I should change it. This guitar will be used for everything from rock-and-roll to heavy metal, and here are the specs:

-Original Floyd Rose

-Basswood body

-5 piece maple/walnut neck

-Ebony fingerboard

-DiMarzio D Sonic + Air Norton: same as John Petrucci

I know that the Floyd Rose and 5-piece neck are going to make this a little harder to make, but I've done some wood working before and I'm going to buy routing templates for the FR and everything.

Thanks.

i would choose alder over basswood, alder is great to work with, not as soft, and doesn't soak up as much finish... it also, imo, sounds more alive...are you actually drawing up your own superstrat design, or are we merely critiquing your specs?

Yeah I didn't know about alder because it's used on alot of ESP's and heavy metal guitars but Fender also uses it so is it just good for everything? I don't know that much about guitar design so I just want some suggestions.

well, you need to think about what you like about the RG, and think about what you like about other models, and think about things you might dislike about them too... when i designed my superstrat, i was designing it for a customer as much as i was designing it for me... i gave it 27 frets, gave it a deeper cutaway and a shallower, smaller body... one thing i like about soloists over RG's is the deeper cutaway... and it helps to make it visually appealing, there are some designs i see that make me want to stab my eyes out with a tremelo arm... and yes, alder is a great all around wood, it has a fairly punchy middy tone, which just lends itself to most anything...

heres a shot of my superstrat side by side with my RG7421 so you can understand what i mean

Sigma7Pics14.jpg

Edited by ElysianGuitars