Second Guitar Build Is Underway.

biliousfrog, thanks for the info., I'll tuck that info. away for future reference.

tim_ado, jmrentis, thank you, I feel better. I came on here not to be judged but to show what I'm working on. Constructive critisism is one thing, to be lambasted for working outside the LP, SG, Strat., Tele. box is another. If this design isn't for someone, fine. I know it's different, hell, I'm the one who designed it! I made it that way. I know it's different!

ElysianGuitars let me know what he thinks by saying that the bridge pickup is too close to the bridge and it will sound tinny and bright. That's fair. It's his opinion. Not knowing the person and not knowing how knowlegeable he is, I'll take it with a grain of salt, but, he may be right. It is close to the bridge, however, I never posted what pickup I'm using or what pots. or what cap is going into the guitar. Since his name is ElysianGuitars, I'll put more weight into what he says, thinking he more than likely is a builder, and has seen or made a guitar with the pup that close and it was tinny and bright.

jmrentis, I knew exactly what you meant on your post about the stain. I just snapped a picture of the in process staing process to show you the color of stain I mixed up.

Looking back, I may have left the horn f hole out and stayed with the two in the bottom. I can't plug the hole and I'm not going to ditch the body, I'll work with it, take what I did right and wrong with the entire process of design and making it, and add them into the next one.

i put my pickups a little further than that, but not by much, cause it just works so well with metal :D i've only built 4 guitars, so don't put too much weight into what i say, i only know a little more than the stuff they taught at roberto-venn. bridge pickup on my 6 string is about 3/4" from the edge of the high E saddle, which is only about 1/2" from the bridge, its definately bright, and can be harsh on the upper strings, but its good and chunky on the lower strings. the only worry i'd have about having a pickup that close is output, as the strings can't vibrate as much under the pickup as the could with the pickup further from the bridge. i like the design of the body of your guitar, i may not be partial to the F holes, but the body really works.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems as though what i said was misinterpreted, I never said that I didn't like your design or anything, I only pointed the scale length thing out because on my first guitar (which i pulled the design completely out of my head, its not an LP, SG, strat or tele kind of thing) I screwed up my scale length and the guitar will never stay in tune or anything. I just was hoping you wouldn't run into the same dissapointing problem as me. In fact I love guitar designs that aren't the norm or one of the 'standards'.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying this guitar and I can't wait to see it finished. I apologize if what i said gave off the wrong idea to you and everyone else, there was no negative remarks towards your design.

No need to appologize the IRS, you're just looking out for my better interests. The measurement is right on though. The body is thin at the waist so it gives the impression that the body is longer than a normal body which it isn't.

The guitar you speak of, did you post pictures here? I'd like to see it. Some of the guitars I've seen on the net that people have designed on their own I like, some I don't, but I know how much goes into designing one and then making it. I have never, and would never knock someone for going out on a limb and designing thier own body design. It's up to the person who will be playing it if the design is right or not. If you like, great, if I don'e who cares, because I'm not going to be playing it, you are.

People who have never made a guitar or who have made one from a kit, or who have bought a body and parts and finished it have no idea how much time and effort goes into planing one out, and then taking the plunge and start cutting wood into a shape of your own design. Even with the first one I made,

P1000872.jpg

it looks like a Strat... sort of, and it looks like an Ibanez S470... sort of. I made three templates of the body before I came up with one that I thought was "right". A little of this one, a little of that one, and it all had to work, in my eyes since I was making it for me.

I've had people say why did you put the maple on it, the mahogany is so beautiful? Or, why did you use these pick-ups, the _________'s sound much better? I've had people throwing thier two cents in on just about every part of the guitar, tuners, neck, nut, strings, pups, bridge, jackplate, headstock art, all to which is fine. If they wanted thier guitar to have any of the things they said they would change, I say more power to ya dude! When you get that guitar built, let me know and I'll come over and critique it for you too. In the mean time, I'll be playing the one I built, which sounds and plays great.

• 1 month later...

Well, I sprayed the edge of the guitar after masking off the cap to cover the glue lines of the mahogany tonewood. It was perfect but a little thin for a burst on the back. I tried to widen it a bit by using a piece of posterboard cut smaller than the body, in the same shape as the body. It was too small and the burst was too big, so I ended up painting the mahogany all black.

P1010037.jpg

P1010055.jpg

Once it was painted all black, I started shooting sanding sealer again to give me something to work with to get it flat before shooting lacquer thinking that sanding sealer was just a high solids lacquer. Well, it isn't. I didn't know that sanding sealer was for bare/stained wood and not painted wood. I didn't know that it had surfactants in it to aid in sanding to help stop sandpaper blinding and caking.

Once I had a few coats down I sprayed lacquer and it, so I thought, blushed. I shot blush remover on it and it made it worse?!? I stopped, did a bit of research, and that's when I found out about the surfactant in the sanding sealer. I sanded down to the paint on the back, stain (almost) on the front and shot the black paint again.

The picture above is after I shot the black paint for the second time and started shooting lacquer. This picture is after about 1 1/2 cans of lacquer I think. You can see in the control cavity the midnight blue color the whole body was from the surfactants in the sanding sealer.

About the midnight blue color... I thought it was just an optical illusion from the lighting where I hang it while between coats. My fiance one day said: "I thought you painted your guitar black, it looks blue". Well, there it was, hanging in the back room of the basement, a blue guitar. Damn.

The back is black again, and I have one more day of lacquer spraying, (today), before I hang it up for a month and let it cure and shrink.

Here's a picture of the front taken at the same time as the picture above of the back...

P1010057.jpg

After I'm done with the lacquer and it's curing for a month, I'll lay down the shielding paint in all of the cavities where the electronics will run, shield the pickguard with copper tape and make a wiring diagram, and do as much wiring as I can before final assembly.

Edited by J_48_Johnson

Looking Nice!!! Looking through the pics I could help but think that your little finishing stick(neck pocket) has to have a two inch thick layer of laquer!LOL. I was just recently rereading through your other build at reranch and the finish and when seeing the same stick here I started laughing. I was curious do you tape off the screws on that thing or just spray then chip or clean out?

Anyhow, the project is looking good! I think in the bright sun you can really get an accurate idea of how the actual guitar will look. In some of the other pics it can throw you off because the guitar is face up and flash or light reflects from inside those cavities too much. I would bet that once its all done and seen in person it will look totally different and way cooler. As I said I think this a cool project, I'm all for people creating their own personal designs and I am doing the same and think I have found a final design, which is perfect because I am ready to do a quick thickness, then cut. What I like about these projects is that they are built exactly to what you want, which is how it should be. Obviously, most people won't like it but thats completely beside the point, whether or not a guitar suits their taste doesn't matter, it should still be given credit for the building process. It is actually quite a bit more difficult to design your own from the ground up than it is to copy or ever tweak a design. So, again very nice and I can't wait to see how it finishes. BTW I couldn't get over how much that last finishing product cleaned up the finish. I believe it was the swirl remover, it was amazing what that stuff did.

Also, nice bass I have caught a few in the 7-8lbs range and hooked a couple double digit fish, but haven't put one in the boat. It tough here in San Diego, we have some of the biggest Bass in the country, but they are so heavily fished in EXTREMELY clear water that it makes it so very tough. One of the guys that is considered one of the best big bass guys here Mike Long fishes something like 80 hours per fish over 10 pounds, I think its something like that. Thats time your not catching a bunch either because your targeting the big guys and they tend to have different patterns that the schoolies.

At some point I would love to fish Florida and similar places, it would be so nice to throw a jig in 3-8 feet of water on 20lb test instead of 3 inch worm drop shotted on 4lb in 35 feet or water. I can't really fish anymore, but I still enjoy watching it and talking about it. From the time I turned 16 and got my license I've spent 3-6 days a week fishing, mainly salt water, but plenty of fresh as well. Its tough not being able to fish for me, though I occasionally get in a quick trout fishing trip when I feel up to it. LOL, sorry went way off topic there, but I'm blaming you because you posted that bass, lol, nice fish. Well have a good one man, keep the pic coming, hope everything goes well. Jason

Edited by jmrentis

"Looking Nice!!! Looking through the pics I could help but think that your little finishing stick(neck pocket) has to have a two inch thick layer of laquer!LOL. I was just recently rereading through your other build at reranch and the finish and when seeing the same stick here I started laughing. I was curious do you tape off the screws on that thing or just spray then chip or clean out?"

Me and that stick go WAY back! lol I just chip the heads out and bring it along.

"Anyhow, the project is looking good! I think in the bright sun you can really get an accurate idea of how the actual guitar will look. In some of the other pics it can throw you off because the guitar is face up and flash or light reflects from inside those cavities too much. I would bet that once its all done and seen in person it will look totally different and way cooler."

The pictures I took outside today are very good in color to what the body actually looks like.

"As I said I think this a cool project, I'm all for people creating their own personal designs and I am doing the same and think I have found a final design, which is perfect because I am ready to do a quick thickness, then cut. What I like about these projects is that they are built exactly to what you want, which is how it should be. Obviously, most people won't like it but thats completely beside the point, whether or not a guitar suits their taste doesn't matter, it should still be given credit for the building process. It is actually quite a bit more difficult to design your own from the ground up than it is to copy or ever tweak a design. So, again very nice and I can't wait to see how it finishes."

Thanks for the compliment. Designing your own is HARD! You're right about designing your own guitar how you want. Even the first one I did was my own, but I copied my Stratocaster and my S470 and blended them together to make what I wanted, and then added a couple things of my own. Look at the back of the horns. How many Strats have you ever seen like that? None. That's all me baby! lol I can't say this enough, but keep your design on paper, and go back and look at it for a few minutes. Maybe even try to take that design and draw up another one from it, but try to make it better than the first. Then, take that one and do it again. Sooner or later, you'll have one that's just right. For the body design of this one, I drew up about 100 bodies, narrowed it down to three, then went with those, drew other styles from those, opted for the one I finally made. The horn on the body looks kind of big, but, with the neck in place, it isn't too bad. Make your own design for you. The first one I made, many people have asked me if I would sell it to them. #1, I don't think I could sell it for what I had in it, and #2, I don't think I'll ever sell one of mine. Maybe someday, but right now, it feels like it would be selling one of the kids! I would however love to have one of my friends that was in a band play it on stage one time. Just once. I'd also like them to say; "The guitar I'm playing tonight was hand made by that guy right there, (points to me). I'd be happier than a puppy with... well, you get it.

"BTW I couldn't get over how much that last finishing product cleaned up the finish. I believe it was the swirl remover, it was amazing what that stuff did."

That was Stewart MacDonald Swirl Remover, and it made it like glass. You couldn't even feel grit in the stuff, but it must have been in there. I put it on with the foam pad just like the med. and fine compound, and then wiped the rest off by hand when done, and buffed it with a soft terry cloth.

"Also, nice bass I have caught a few in the 7-8lbs range and hooked a couple double digit fish, but haven't put one in the boat. It tough here in San Diego, we have some of the biggest Bass in the country, but they are so heavily fished in EXTREMELY clear water that it makes it so very tough. One of the guys that is considered one of the best big bass guys here Mike Long fishes something like 80 hours per fish over 10 pounds, I think its something like that. Thats time your not catching a bunch either because your targeting the big guys and they tend to have different patterns that the schoolies.

At some point I would love to fish Florida and similar places, it would be so nice to throw a jig in 3-8 feet of water on 20lb test instead of 3 inch worm drop shotted on 4lb in 35 feet or water. I can't really fish anymore, but I still enjoy watching it and talking about it. From the time I turned 16 and got my license I've spent 3-6 days a week fishing, mainly salt water, but plenty of fresh as well. Its tough not being able to fish for me, though I occasionally get in a quick trout fishing trip when I feel up to it. LOL, sorry went way off topic there, but I'm blaming you because you posted that bass, lol, nice fish. Well have a good one man, keep the pic coming, hope everything goes well. Jason

Being here in N.E. Ohio, I would have never caught one that big w/o going to Florida. I caught that one on Toho. I'm not sure if I put that on the page or not, it's been a while since I posted that. There was a national magazine a few years back called Bassin'. They had this thing where you fish against people from your state for your 5 longest fish from Jan. 1 - Aug. 31. I entered it one year and came in 7th for Ohio. I caught five 5 pounders in that time, and for N.E. Ohio, those are big fish. The person who won represented his or her state in a national three day fish off. The winner took home a new tow vehicle, (Suburban), a new boat, all kinds of coolers, fishing equipment, and other assorted prizes. Oh yeah, and a check for $70,000.00. CHA-CHING! The whole thing was worth like $140,000.00

As far as Mike, I read his whole story in Bass Master. I read a lot on bass fishing from coast to coast where you guys in Cali. fish with either 10" swim baits or drop shot 4" finesse weenie worms. I fish mainly: White twin blade buzz bait, 3/8 oz. tandem white spinner bait, and the Yamamoto Senko's in sizes from 4" to the bigest ones (8" maybe?).

I know what you mean on drawing up a design. I have spent a lot of time tweaking my design and while I have about 3 as you did that I like, I have done at least 100. I've done a ton just skecthing, a bunch on paint programs on the computer, a number of them full size drawn out on paper and a couple on templates. The other day I was staring at it and it just hit me that one or two little changes would make it so much better so I drew them out, then went and rough cut them on the template I had, it looked great, but being that I cut it out of the template, it left the template too small and my bridge would look way too far down in the body. Personally, I don't like a ton of wood after the bridge, so shorter works for me, but I still need to make one a bit bigger and I am set to go.

Oh man I would love to be able to fish so many different baits! There are a couple lakes that fish good here. One is lake Barrett, which you can only fish by buying tickets from ticketmaster and it is only open two or 3 days a week for a few months a year. I can tell you the fishing is epic there. They have both florida strain largemouth and the northerns. Those northerns are hyper aggresive little dudes. The fishing is great there most trips has been a 4+ pound average and somewhere around 25-40 fish for 1/2-3/4 of the day. Yeah, its that good. I've actually been on TV a few times and a video for the San Diego Lakes. They filmed my friend and I at lake Barrett and we were throwing the blade(spinnerbait) and were nailing one after another, just by flipping the blade right at the shore and dragging it in, within 2 or 3 feets we would get bit and in another spot we were swimming them in 10-14 inches of water and the fish would rush out of the cover and hit em. It was a blast and it gave me my 15 seconds of fame in the fishing world. I see the show on TV once in a while and I still need to buy the video, though I do have part of the TV show recorded on VHS.

Aside from that lake and maybe one of two others, fishing can be very tough here and takes loads of knowledge and patience. Thats why I like saltwater so much, far less pressured fish and usually bigger/tougher. Catch a couple Calico bass on light gear and you see what I mean, then try a yellowtail, wheew even on 20lb and a decent reel those things can tear you for 20 minutes or more, mean, mean fish. BTW- Before I had to stop fishing Senkos were my go to bait for bass. I came up with a whole new tactic and stopped with all the drop shotting and tiny worms and started going with big baits. I had discovered that in highly pressured areas(just like in winter time) they often prefer one bigger meal as opposed to a bunch of small ones. I ended up with many more 5lb+ and just more fish in numbers as well.

Also, if you don't have any yet buy some 7" cut tail worms by Gary Yamamoto, just buy whatever color works in your waters and flyline them, no weights and weedless. They are killers, have a very similar action to the senkos, but get bit way better and even have a swimming action for aggressive fish. One last tip on those, if you have any thin surface cover, just flip those cut tails right on top and drag them across the top. Some of my best days on those things were all topwater bites through cover!!! Very cool. One last thing, I have designed a lure and once I figure out how to get the design out without getting ripped off or breaking the bank, I definately will let you try some to get feedback(it will be a while from now though). I know that this specific lure would work better outside of the west coast, where you are at would be perfect. I honestly think this thing will be awesome and trust me when I say it hasn't been done before. Well, anyway better not get me going on fishing, I have withdrawls from the stuff, lol. J

Lol... I have designed a lure too, and it hasn't been done before either. I have working prototypes in my tacklebox as we speak. Working prototypes means that I have already caught fish with them. They won't look that great in a package so I won't catch many fishermen, but the fish seem to like them.

I've checked on getting a patent and it's expensive. They did a story on makeing your own lures and selling them last year, (I think), in Bass Master. It isn't worth the trouble sounds to me like. Kind of burst my bubble. One thing they said to do, and it sounded odd, but I now understand why you would do it; Draw up the design with as much detail as you can, stuff in in an envelope and mail it to yourself. When you get it in the mail, DON'T OPEN IT. Keep it just the way it is, and then you can start shopping your idea around. If someone uses your idea without your permission, you have a post marked letter via the USPS showing that you had the idea first and the other person took your idea from you shopping it around.

You were talking about catching big mean fish... The funnest fish I ever caught was a 37" Northern Pike. I was bass fishing and I was using a light 5'10" rod with 6 pound test. Six pound test... remember that. I tied on a Bagley's Baby Bream crankbait. It's a bluegill looking little crankbait that swims to 7'. I cast it out in 30' of water, and thought "What am I doing casting that out in that depth of water". I had aready started reeling the lure in, and I sped it up to get it in to make another cast because to shallower water.... BAM! My rod bowed, my drag started singing, line was being stripped from my reel, and the fight was on. I thought I had the drag set too loose so I cranked it down tight. That's when I noticed that my rod was bending from the but section, not just the rod tip section. I didn't have time to loosten the drag so I clicked the lever from anti reverse to free and let the reel back up. The handle was flying backwards because of all of the tension on the rod and line. When it slowed down, I jammed the palm of my hand in agaist the handle and regained control of it. I faught the fish for about 5 minutes, and started bringing it in. When it came up high enough in the water for me to see it, it saw me and sounded. I let go of the handle again and let him run and then jammed my palm into the handle to regain control. About this time, I yelled over to another boat that was close, but on the other side of an island. In the boat was a guy, (Tom) that I worked with and his brother in law. They had a net, and I didn't. The fish came up and sounded three more times before they got to me. His brother in law had the net, Tom was running the engine. The fish came up and took off right beside his net. I fought him one more time, and told him to hold the net in front of the fish. When he takes off again he'll run right into it. Luck was with me that day, and the fish did what I thought it would. It's hard to explain, but I was on one side of a man made tire breakwall, Tom, his brother in law, and the fish were on the other. Once they had the fish in the boat, Tom says; "Hey Brad, I've got my camera". "No way! I said". I threw them my rod and met them at the end of the breakwall. They handed me the rod, and the net with the fish halfway inside. It was too bif to get the entire fish in the net. I got him and my bait out of the net, strung him up and took a couple pictures. I took him into the snack bar, (it was at a private lake), where I thought they had scales. The old dude that ran it found some but they were too small and we couldn't fine a board to lay the fish on or anything. He set the scales on a deep freezer, plugged it in, and we put the fish on it. Well, the middle of my pike weighed 14.97 pounds on certified scales. Since the head was laying on the freezer on one end, and the tail of the fish was laying on the freezer at the other end, I can't tell you how much it weighed, but I do know that the middle weighed 14.97 pounds. I have the pictures we took that day here at the house in a frame. He only had a disposable camera, and he didn't get a cd when he had it developed, but I do have the pictures here to proove it! Honest.

"All fishermen lie, all but me & you,... and I'm not so sure about you". That was one of my exwife's grandfathers sayings.

Yeah, I kinda figured getting the lure design out would be one of those things that wouldn't really do much. In my eyes after sitting on this idea for while is that I either need to design an entire line of lure and come out with a new company(super difficult) or figure out a way to sell the design to a company and take a small % or something, don't really know if either would work, either way when I get there I'll send you a couple for testing. I know they won't be as "hot" on the west coast, so you'd be better off giving them a real life testing.

BTW I really liked the idea about mailing the idea to yourself, lol, it sounds crazy but makes sense.

Also, your grandpa saying is the best fishing saying Ive ever heard, ever!!!!! :D:D

I enjoy hearing fishing tales, I am really good at telling between truth and fiction after years of hearing them, you just know when a "real fisherman" is describing something. Another good way to tell is by size, if every story is about a monster that would break records, they are probably all BS, but if there are about crazy fights or strange happenings or fun battles, then you can bet that its real. I'm with you though, all my funnest battles have occured on 4 and 6 pound with a couple big fish on 2 pound. I've caught big fish, but I tend to have more fun on the little guys with light tackle. Its sound strange but I have more fun catching decent trout on 4 pound than I do 20-40pound albacore on 25 pound test. Don't know why. One saltwater fish that I just love to catch is sandbass, oh man when those guys are up spawing in the flats locally there is nothing I like better, they come by the tens or thousands and range from 3/4 pound to 10 pounds. You wanna talk about mean fish, wheew, they definately stay true to their nickname: Grumpies.

Anyhow, that was a crazy story, those are my favs where you know you shouldn't have landed it, but you did. You always feel like a big shot after those. On one of those sandbass trips I was talking about I brought a small freshwater bass setup with abu baitcaster and 12 pound test and 15 minutes from the spot the captain gets on the horn and tells us to get rid of any weights we had on and just tie a hook on because the yellows(see california yellowtail) were WFO(wide bleepin open), I ended the say with 3 nice 15pound+ yellows on my freshwater setup with 12 pound test. As you mentioned the rod was bending below the reel, yikes. The captain started laughing at me when he saw what I was doing, but I put more fish in the boat than the average, mainly because I got bit so well on that light line and I could cast a mile to the boiling fish. Anyhow, there was no reason I should have landed those fish especially when the people using 20 pound test were snapping fish left and right.

Fishing rocks and when you can't fish, luthiery rocks!

• 2 weeks later...

I wet sanded and polished yesterday :D It's a lot of work but I did it the same was as I did on the first guitar:

dry sanding

wet sanding (naptha as my wetting agent)

polish

Med. compound

Fine compound

Swirl remover

Front of body

frontafterpolish3.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o176/J_...fterpolish5.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o176/J_...fterpolish2.jpg

Back of body

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o176/J_...fterpolish5.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o176/J_...fterpolish3.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o176/J_...fterpolish2.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o176/J_...afterpolish.jpg

:D Wheeewwwee! Thats lookin nice! It seems as though this finish went a lot better for you than the first one? I think your first finish really gave you a bunch of experience in finishing, by causing you every problem possible. I can't believe this one is already done, your really whipped that one out. I can't wait to see it all setup. The finish looks great, mirror effect and all. Very nice stuff, this will look wicked once all setup and ready to rock.

Just some FYI, I heard David talking about sometimes not being able to fully get rid of every little swirl he finds and wishes he could, Wes mentioned this micromesh stuff that he says takes care of any left over swirls you find, another member agreed with wes maybe Marksound that it works well. It might even improve upon what the swirl remover accomplishes, which would be amazing because that stuff seems to work really well. I think I saw the micromesh at LMI, but I'm not sure where the guys buy it. BTW:I'm not saying this because you have swirls, LOL, your finishes are clear as glass, very nice, just another product for you to try if you want.

Anyhow, congrats man on another wicked finish!! And a quick finish! Definitely keep the pics coming for us. Is the guitar ready to be strung up, or does it need to harden for a bit more?? J

I've checked on getting a patent and it's expensive. They did a story on makeing your own lures and selling them last year, (I think), in Bass Master. It isn't worth the trouble sounds to me like. Kind of burst my bubble. One thing they said to do, and it sounded odd, but I now understand why you would do it; Draw up the design with as much detail as you can, stuff in in an envelope and mail it to yourself. When you get it in the mail, DON'T OPEN IT. Keep it just the way it is, and then you can start shopping your idea around. If someone uses your idea without your permission, you have a post marked letter via the USPS showing that you had the idea first and the other person took your idea from you shopping it around.

This has been a perpetual myth in a lot of fields. You see this circulating in writing circles a lot as well. In fact, I'm a little shocked that a trade magazine would purport this as accurate.

This does not prove that you own the concept. No patent, no trademark, no registration anywhere means no proof.

You have no legal ground to stand on. Chances are any civil suits launched from a sealed envelope being your only "proof" of ownership would not only fail but cost you a significant amount of money.

Any decent lawyer is going to argue, at the very least, concurrent concepts. Think of how many times you've seen the same movie come from two different studios around the same time and it's a rush to market. The reason is because we all think fairly similarly. We're influenced by the same things and can draw similar conclusions based off our experiences. All they need to do is prove they had a similar idea prior to being approached by you.

You are an independent designer. They are a manufacturer with development and research departments. How do you know that a very similar design hasn't been in a folder somewhere for a decade in one of their filing cabinets?

Any manufacturer big enough to significantly profit off your idea is more inclined to just purchase it outright. The cost of buying your idea is much cheaper than a lawsuit and the ill press that follows.