Humcancelling Single-coil

ibanezlover

I don't know. I've wondered the same for if you could just wire them three and three instead of each individual one. Something like a G&L Z-coil only w/o the stagger.

(I'm kind of thinking that if this was possible the Z-coil wouldn't have the stagger, but that, I will admit, is just idle speculation.)

you could just wire them three and three instead of each individual one.

Yeah I just thought of winding it 3 and 3. That would make it alot easier to wind, wouldn't it?

Also, where do you get your pickup making parts? Stewmac has some, but they don't have different types of magnets, different width polepieces, etc.

this is a great idea, the 3/3 one anyway, the split telecaster coil (humbucker) is wired like this i think.

it would probably be easier to wind 2 mini coils then solder the ends together in series

ive just been looking for the pic of a vintage split humbucker (i remember seeing one somwhere :S) its annoying me now i cant find it...

edit.

as i remember it looked like this inside but it had a dummy section on each side (not sure why it had dummy parts, making a single coil like this eliminates this problem)

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/8672/vintagesplitqj9.png

Edited by Samba Pa Ti

This would be a humbucker and it would make a bassier sound. I'm pretty sure that what makes the difference is that the 3-3 coil goes around all 6 strings instead of a coil around the bottom 3 in series w/ one around the top. I'm just guessing, but I think that's the main difference between a humbucker and a singlecoil.

the sound would only be as bassy as you wanted it, you could use differnet magnets to alter the tone or just use less windings on each coil

i had a similar idea for a p90 a while back (pic inserted)

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/1615/p90xw8.gif

i might just take your idea and make a p90 3x3 :D,

its much nicer to look at and innovative(your idea), although you might have problems with the magnets (if you can find magnets that fit over 3 pole pieces nicely) thats the only time it would be a true humbucker when the polarities are different (and its where my p90 idea failed, and why i never tried to make one).

edit.

also answering your earlier question, allparts.com and stewmac.com sell pickup parts and equipment

Edited by Samba Pa Ti

Yeah I just thought of winding it 3 and 3. That would make it alot easier to wind, wouldn't it?

Have a look here:

http://music-electronics-forum.com/showthread.php?t=2870

Oh sry.

So I guess you don't know anywhere to get parts anyway?

also answering your earlier question, allparts.com and stewmac.com sell pickup parts and equipment

www.Guitarjones.com

www.Guitarpartsusa.com

www.Skguitar.com

Great thread and links here...

I'd like to see this thread keep going, or something similar so people can share their ideas on pickup designs, I thin k it could capture the imagination much like the sustainer thread has done, a produce some interesting ideas and encourage people to make some of these things... It was this type of thing that brought me here before I got destracted by the sustainer stuff (which is very similar to pickups in reverse!) and something I'd be interested in exploring more...

humcancelingsc.jpg

This is an interesting idea and should work in a theoretical way. It reminds me of a design I heard of with a twisted single coil...cant remember where I heard about that one. The problem is with the actual winding of such a unit and in particular the overlaping wires between the poles which would double the size of the coils in that area. Ther may also be phase differences that effect bent strings, as aluded to in the pickup makers thread discussion on the novak like designs, that are designed for the bridge.

It may be of easier to make six individual cylindrical coils than to interweave them. I have heard you can make such pickups out of relay coils wired together, with a magnetized coil...something to think about...

Other things that came to mind when contemplating the Novak/Z-coil/P-bass like solutions is that there would be some unusual phase effects, I suspect, when combining such a design with a conventional SC or other pickup, as one set of strings would be magnetised one way, and the other the opposite...

A lot of different coil configurations have been discussed in relation to sustainer designs on the sustainer thread.

There is a need to develop ways to make designs for pickups with the articulation of single coils without the noise, particularly as home recording with PC's and noisy environments that effect traditional SC designs increase.

Personally, I like the idea of a dual rail pickup but with poles only under each set or alternate strings...SD has some designs that look a bit like this I think...

A lot of designs like Kinman, slavishly try to emulate the classic fender sound, but as we know, P-90's have a sound of their own that may covet, and there may yet be other interesting and valid tones to be had from new designs, not simply noise cancellation.

I am also interested in the idea of DIY active pickups...EMG has dominated this area for a long time, bass players have really embraced these ideas, but guitar players have been a little reluctant to develop ideas in this area. There are many suitable little low power preamps that could be suitable about, and you could experiment with smaller coils, larger wire gauges, lower powered magnets and such...could be fun...

Anyway...keep thinking... pete