First Project: Converting A Fixed Bridge To Stb/tom Bridge

hey bros,

this is the first time i am attempting to convert a fixed bridge on my tele to a string-thru-body/t-o-m bridge.

any of you had the experience of doing this? should i even try?

will appreciate if someone can guide me along this project.

this is the guitar in question.

thanks guys!

dani

DSC00045.JPG

the major issue is bridge height and neck angle. A TOM is much taller than the fixed bridge that is on there already. You will need to route out a channel for the bridge to sit in so that it is lower in the body than is normal for a tune-o-matic or you need to find a way to add an angle to the neck.

personally i would do a bit of both. Sink the bridge into the body a small amount and make a full shim that is wedge shaped for the neck angle that can be fixed in the neck pocket under the heel, thats assuming the tele has a bolt-on neck.

the major issue is bridge height and neck angle. A TOM is much taller than the fixed bridge that is on there already. You will need to route out a channel for the bridge to sit in so that it is lower in the body than is normal for a tune-o-matic or you need to find a way to add an angle to the neck.

personally i would do a bit of both. Sink the bridge into the body a small amount and make a full shim that is wedge shaped for the neck angle that can be fixed in the neck pocket under the heel, thats assuming the tele has a bolt-on neck.

thanks wexv. btw, the tele has a set neck. so i guess recessing the bridge is the only solution...

If there is no way of making a neck angle then I would dump the idea. Consider the height difference between standard tele bridge saddle and that of a TOM.

The highest bridge saddle on my tele is about 3/8" off the body. The highest saddle on my TOM (Schaller roller bridge) equipped mahogany neckthru guitar, WITH a 3.9 deg. neck angle, is about 5/8". The height of the fretboard above the body (only 1/4") dictated where I set my overall TOM bridge height. So I actually had to recess my TOM by a little over 1/4", ie. top surface of bridge mounting studs 1/4" below surrounding body surface. As it is, the thumbscrew adjustors are about level with the body surface. I use a smalle screwdriver to push them around. :D

Now consider the fb height on your tele and add fret height (total on mine is about 3/8") with no neck angle and how far down you would need to recess the bridge. The thumbscrews on the type of TOM I use would likely be well below the surface. I'm not saying it can't be done, just wouldn't be feasible to literally bury a TOM bridge.

yeah, sinking the bridge the full amount needed on a set neck guitar is not as good an idea - you need to do some measuring to see how much you would need to sink the bridge by and if the adjustment screws (action and intonation) would still function

If you use one of the Gotoh TOM's or any of the type that has a slot in the top of the adjusting stud, then you can recess deeper. But you do have to watchout for your intonation screws. Even if they still stick above a little, you have to decide how great of a risk there is that you may nick or scratch the finish trying to adjust the intonation.