Carve Top how to...

ESPNUT

Yes, I saw your thread on the subject, and it didn't answer the question I was asking, not to be an "arse", and not trying to "dupe" a thread as you call it . I was looking along the lines of do-able carve tops for those of us not able to own a CNC machine. The topic of tools used to do it with just died. I was hoping someone may touch on the topic of finger planers or planers in general. Any ideas? Is there a router bit that can pull it off? Thanks, Scott

Well doing a quick search I came up with this tool and a different method using a drill press on this page, oh yes he chisled and carved it :D

Actually it doesn't hurt to start on Dave's home page.

I'll keep looking but I think the majority of older one's that are hand made were done using finger chisels and planers. A spoke shaven wouldn't hurt for grabbing some serious meat off the wood to begin with either.

Jeezum Crow! I don't think I want to get into Dave's stuff right now. I was thinking I would cut out the body with a flat top, then use a finger planer to carve the horns and edges, hoping to get the carved effect. I have a body to practice on, what the hell, I guess I'll try it on that. Thanks Brian

Yes, I saw your thread on the subject, and it didn't answer the question I was asking, not to be an "arse", and not trying to "dupe" a thread as you call it . I was looking along the lines of do-able carve tops for those of us not able to own a CNC machine. The topic of tools used to do it with just died. I was hoping someone may touch on the topic of finger planers or planers in general. Any ideas? Is there a router bit that can pull it off? Thanks, Scott

Just saying, a thread about this topic already existed, it would be better for future generations (think of the children!!!!!) to post to it bumping it up in the queue so people could see it and thus making it more easily findable. Maybe that's just my leftover WEF mentality, a place where a proper response to a question was "Google isn't f'ing dead y'know" and dupe threads were closed before they were opened. Given that it was also the most smoothly operated forum I've ever been on some of those habits have stuck with me.

I promise not to start refering to people here as "f**kwits" tho. :D

anyhooo

Sweet Lord Dave's guitar is friggin' gorgeous!!!!!

I want that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want that!!!!!!