Korina O Limba

Speaking from what I've read,

Limba is very similar to Mahogany, but with a few differences. Limba seems a little brighter/clearer, with more resonance/overtones, and a bit more bite or punch. Take from that what you will.

Your neck wood is going to be important as well, probably more so.

CMA

Edited by CrazyManAndy

• 3 weeks later...
Speaking from what I've read,

Limba is very similar to Mahogany, but with a few differences. Limba seems a little brighter/clearer, with more resonance/overtones, and a bit more bite or punch. Take from that what you will.

Your neck wood is going to be important as well, probably more so.

CMA

Bingo, that's a very accurate description.

If you go with African Mahogany, make sure you know the weight, at least, and tap test it if possible. I'd suggest Honduran Mahogany if possible, as most of it that I find is a little softer and less dense than the African variety, which should give you a little warmer, darker tone. If you want to be really picky; go with denser stuff for the neck for strength.

im thinking on a black korina body with a black korina or rosewood neck . the fingerboard will be rosewood . with one will give me a warmer dark sound korina o rosewood ??

I doubt if black korina should be used for a neck or fingerboard. According to the warmoth-site the wood isn't suitable for it.

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/options/options_bodywoods.cfm

Not a fingerboard, but for a neck I'm pretty sure people have used it just fine. Don't Myka and Thorn, for example, use black limba for necks?

Also, aren't black and white limba the same except for grain accentuation? The Warmoth site (just one site, though, after all) has no problem with white limba necks. :D

Limba is an excellent neck wood. I have used both white and black limba and have had nothing but great sounding necks. Limba can be a bit soft so you may or may not like it. I love it and have found the neck's contribution to be warm and resonant. I would not hesitate to use it.

Rosewood vs. Limba? Now that's a good question. Rosewoods will tend to focus the tone a bit towards the upper and lower registers. Balance that with a warm, mid-rangy body wood (like limba or mahogany) and you have a killer combination. I love the feel of rosewood necks. Just get a resonant piece that rings like glass.

EDIT: I have found African mahogany (Khaya) to be slightly darker than limba with Honduran mahogany being a bit darker than both.

~David

Edited by Myka Guitars