Binding A Neck

You could use any standard thickess really, whatever is available. I've gotten into doing integral wood binding where you cut the edges off the fretboard blank, slot it, then glue the edges back on as binding with the grain matching up. I typically shoot for a finished binding thickness of 1/8" or less.

It's always easier to scrape binding down than make it thicker after the fact - I think 1/8" looks good. On my last build, I went with 1/4", both because that what was what I had, and that was the thickness of my (rather thick) fretboard. It looks a little wierd from the side, particularly with a thinner neck.

I found that the height was more inportant.

I planed down the height until it was just over the height of the fingerboard, this way the binding tape won't make the binding lean toward the fretboard towards the center from pressure.

I also like it a bit thicker than the ledge where it sits.

I actually just ordered some black plastic binding from StewMac.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bindings,_trim...ic_Binding.html

The bottom one, .09"x.25". At 65" it's plenty much to do one fretboard, though now that I've bought it, I'm trying to figure out what tools to use to nip the tangs of the fret. Maybe a dremel cutter wheel? But I've got SS fretwire, it'll be quite a pain.

Bah, a debate for later in the morning. Where's my coffee?