Garage Sale Score

Nice!

I have to confess, I never learned to use a hand plane properly, and I don't own one. <hangs head in shame> :D

One of these days I need to get that sorted out.

I have figured out the proper use of a spokeshave, and fine-tuned my $25 cheap-o to a precision shaving machine, though. :D

Nice one - here's some links to help you get acquainted with it:

http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/readart...icles_720.shtml (if there's any cleaning needed)

http://www.hyperkitten.com/tools/stanley_b...ating/main.html (finding out when it was made)

http://www.finefurnituremaker.com/publishe...g_12_part_2.htm (setting up the plane)

if you get any pics of it please post them! If you do anything to the plane at all, the most important change I'd recommend is making the sole dead flat and squaring the sides - which is especially important on a jointer plane like a #7. All the used Stanley's I have needed their soles flattening to some extent, having a flat sole makes the most noticeable difference to how easy the plane is to use in my opinion as instead of you having to make the plane flatten the wood, its almost as if the plane is flattening the wood for you, it practically planes itself.

Edited by Bainzy

Thanks for the links :D

The plane is in amazing condition. No rust or pitting and the sole will only need slight attention, it's pretty darn near flat and square. Unfortunately it had been sharpened wrong and the blade is out of square, so thats something I'll have to fix, or buy a new blade ($40) It just needs a little attention and it will be a great plane.

I'll take some before and after pictures and post them.

good old #7 nice plane(big too!!) unsure.gif

Yep. I'll be using it mostly for jointing the acoustic top/back and sides. That big ol' honker will get it done in no time flat. :D

EDIT: I just did the plane dating chart and it says it's a hybrid of types 8 and 9 made somewhere between 1899 and 1907, and it sure looks like it could be that old. Anyone have any guesses about how much it might be worth?

Thanks for the links :D

The plane is in amazing condition. No rust or pitting and the sole will only need slight attention, it's pretty darn near flat and square. Unfortunately it had been sharpened wrong and the blade is out of square, so thats something I'll have to fix, or buy a new blade ($40) It just needs a little attention and it will be a great plane.

I'll take some before and after pictures and post them.

good old #7 nice plane(big too!!) unsure.gif

Yep. I'll be using it mostly for jointing the acoustic top/back and sides. That big ol' honker will get it done in no time flat. :D

EDIT: I just did the plane dating chart and it says it's a hybrid of types 8 and 9 made somewhere between 1899 and 1907, and it sure looks like it could be that old. Anyone have any guesses about how much it might be worth?

Not sure about the US, but here in the UK a No.7 of that era and in that condition would usually go for £100 ($200) minimum on ebay.