Cleaning/polishing Frets

I just bought a slightly used strat neck, which is in good overall condition, but it looks like the frets need some cleaning. First, there's some yellow lacquer-looking stuff on the side of the frets. I chips right off with a fingernail, but I'm not sure where this came from. Any ideas? Also, I've never polished frets before. What should I use to do it and how do I thoroughly clean them without damaging the frets and fingerboard? Thanks,

Steve

You can make your own fret protectors from soda cans. Just cut out a rectangle long enough and then cut a slot big enough for your largest fret to fit through. Keep all of your corners round, and leather gloves are a good idea since they will be fairly sharp.

Beer cans work better. I don't know why. I used to go through the trouble of cutting out the slot, but now I cut two strips of aluminum, place one strip on each side of a fret, and while those are held in place, I put tape on the ends to hold it all together, then flip my guard over and place two more pieces of tape on the ends, which makes it more solid, like the old method where the slot was cut out. I also put tape on the side of the aluminum that will be against the board. Especially important on a clear finished board.

I just finished a refret on my Fender Newporter neck, it was long overdue. I even filled those wear marks between the 1st, 2nd and 3rd frets that happens to really old rosewood using a mixture of rosewood dust and CA glue. Levelled, crowned and then sanded the new frets with 320, 600, 800, 1200, 1500 and finally 2000 grit. The thing I like the MOST about doing frets is finishing off with 000 steel wool. Its amazing how everything just jumps out after using the steel wool! :D

Anyway Steve00, I hope everything worked out ok.