Wenge/zebrano Eight-string Guitar

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to polyurethane the body with Plastikote rattlecan varnish unless anyone can advise me against it. Wiping the body down with acetone has pulled and spread the natural oils out better and darkened the wood similar to the neck so oiling may not be necessary. Opinions? A couple of cans should suffice if it's as tough as it makes out.

It is indeed, except I used some oak I had handy instead of maple. I wish I didn't, because it's more coarse and prone to splitting then the wenge veneer was :-/ Tough work maneouvering it into place and keeping it flat. I do have this thing about pinstriping. I did an oak/wenge/oak pinstripe under the fretboard too because i'm that obsessive.

A beautiful piece of wood used in the right place fires the luthier in you eh? It sure as hell does me. :D

A beautiful piece of wood used in the right place fires the luthier in you eh?

I have nothing to add to that sentence........LOL!!!!

And to be honest.....seeing that neck of yours made me run to my local Home Depot type store to have'm cut my Wenge neck blank for my own Wenge/Zebrano 8 string build that was gathering dust.

Guy helping me, dumbfounded remarked when the blade hit the Wenge: "Sir, the blade doesn't like this wood".

But I do, I remarked,...so keep on cutting!!!! ;-)~

Wenge is absolutely one of my favorite woods. It's a bitch to work with.....but what a character!!!!

Very cool 8 stringer, sir!!!

Just the one, as I figured that whatever bow the strings put into the neck isn't going to be huge and easily brought back into line by one rod. I was going to use two, but I thought it was overkill and would weaken the headstock under the nut. Twist shouldn't be an issue either, as the tension isn't what i'd call mindblowing or "bass-side heavy" (like a 12-string or an eight-string bass). The next eight has a maple neck, again with a single rod. I'm confident that the stability will be good as I build necks a little thicker than thin-flats and build in a 16" radius as opposed to 20". Much more comfortable. When are you going to wake your eight-string project? I was pretty stoked with that one.

I really love playing this eight and can't bring myself to strip it down so I can finish sand and oil or poly the body. Perhaps when the second eight is complete :-D