What Dimarzio Single Coil Should I Get?

A description of the sound you want would help and what guitar it is going in.

Sorry ihocky2 didn’t say. I have a 6 string Ibanez RG body made out of swamp ash. And the sound I want is for shredding solos and clear un-distorted power from a single coil. I've read from many people on this forum and many around that they don't even like single coil pickups. They like hums and that's it. Well me I like having diversity in my playing. I like the option of going to position 3 for that one cool slightly-calming clear sound for a little, just before I get back to my heavy hitters at position 5 or 1.

So the HS-3 is a better balance for these two hums? What about if I wanted a single coil that had more output. Like say the Dimarzio Fast Track 1. Its output is 191 vs. the HS-3's output at 93. Would this work well for these two hums?

What about the Cruiser Neck it's output is 140. Would this work well for these two hums?

I guess I don't know what hum-canceling does. If hum canceling means (And I really don't know if this is what it is), if a configuration is H-S-H with a 5-position switch. Then position 1 is full neck hum only. Position 2 is half of the neck Hum and the middle single coil. Position 3 (or middle position) is single coil only. Position 4 is half the bridge hum and single coil. And finally position 5 is full bridge hum only.

Is this what hum canceling is? And do I really need a single coil with a lower output with two hums with an output of 375 & 294? For what sound I'm looking for, would the "Fast track" or the "Cruiser Neck" fu(k it all up?

I just don't want to ask these questions to guitar center here in Houston. They treat people like meat there. I mean they want people to come in and buy stuff, not ask a bunch of questions and think about what would go well with this or that. I love coming here to these forums and asking questions to all of you because you have answers to questions and you don't have a manager over you telling you that you need to be selling more and answering less. I hope you can see where I am coming from. Thanks y'all for your continued help. :D

Single coils generally have a lower output because they are smaller and have less windings and a shorter length of wire. If you over wind the crap out of one you can get just as high of an output. Hum cancelling is the ability of the pickup to cancel out the hum generated by common 60 hz cycle (the frequency at which standard electric runs). I can not give an in depth explanation to this, but look through the electronics section, I think there is something in there. If not check out the link below, there is a lot of good info.

http://www.guitarnuts.com/index.php

Single coils generally have a lower output because they are smaller and have less windings and a shorter length of wire. If you over wind the crap out of one you can get just as high of an output. Hum cancelling is the ability of the pickup to cancel out the hum generated by common 60 hz cycle (the frequency at which standard electric runs). I can not give an in depth explanation to this, but look through the electronics section, I think there is something in there. If not check out the link below, there is a lot of good info.

http://www.guitarnuts.com/index.php

Thanks ihocky2 for the info. :D

I am not a pickup expert, but if you want the sound of a single coil, you are going to want a low to mid output single coil. The higher outputs are going to start sounding warmer and can be driven to the point of getting muddy a lot easier. But for shredding you should still be okay with a higher output. The best bet is to listen to the sound clips that they provide and see what you like. Also listen to the ones at Seymour Duncan. Find one you like the sound of. If SD has one you like, I'm sure Dimarzio can tell you what is comparable.