About To Build My First Guitar

Hi everyone,

My name's Jono, I'm 17 and I live just outside London.

I'm about to start building my first electric guitar - a strat. I have an acoustic at the moment and I'm not a good guitarist by any stretch of the imagination, but this looks fun!

I've bought a start body and a random neck with a strange headstock for now, so I'm going to see what I can do with those. I hope to strip down the body and paint it vintage creme. I have a friend who's an amazing artist, he does some really strange but awesome stuff. I'm hoping he can pull something out of the bag onto my guitar, so I'll have vintage creme + psychedelic painting. I'm going to have a black scratch plate with probably white knobs. And I want to have an HSH pickup arrangement with all pickups covered in chrome with a telecaster bridge cover, and all the rest of the hardware chrome too.

I'm really really looking forward to this project, and it's the summer so I have the time (and hopefully the money) to do this project.

I'd like your advice on refinishing the body. First I'm going to chemically strip it, because knowing me, using other methods I'll really muck it up and this seems the most foolproof. And then I'll do the few layers of spraying and sanding paint. What I'd like to know is, if my friend does paint on the guitar, what kind of paint should be used as it won't be anything out of a can. I'm also assuming that this should go under the lacquer because I obviously want to preserve it. All in all would you say, also, that this is a good approach?

Many thanks and I look forward to talking to all you guys. Some of you might see me round a few other guitar building forums as I'm trying to get as much info as possible.

Peace,

Jono

• 2 weeks later...