New Things Going On

I haven't been posting much lately, lots of changes have occurred and I haven't had a lot of time. Well, I manage to make time to report those pesky, spamming parasites. It takes a little patience, a little understanding...and a lotta beatings. :D I got a new full time job, working for the Feds at the Esquimalt naval base. I push a broom around for a real good wage, full benefits, pension and no mandatory retirement. In essence, I plan to drop dead there. I've been there for about 3 weeks. I have maybe 4 hours worth of real work to do each day and have to stretch it into 8 hrs., no pressure and nobody on my back. So I have lots of time to shoot the breeze with a bunch of real nice and VERY knowledgeable people, quite a few guitar builders, players etc. there actually. I work in the electrical shop, I can get pickups wound there if I want.

Anyway, the shortscale bass is out for now, I made a little mistake at trimming the headstock with my table saw and had to render the neck down another 1 1/2", now too short for the 30" scale holly fretboard I already made. I visited the woodshop at work and found a scrap of purpleheart (19-3/8" X6" X 3/8") that I can use for about 3 fretboards and I'll make a neckthru mahogany tremolo strat. Heres a pic of the neck, 1 way truss rod, fillet and holly bass fretboard.

New%20guitar.jpg

You can see that I still have lots of carving to do but I'm in no rush and its turning into a weekend thing.

And here is where I went fishing last weekend and here is what I had for dinner a month ago. :D

BTW, I mentioned purpleheart earlier. I saw a block of the wood about 3' long, 2' wide and 1' thick, yes, must've weighed over a hundred lbs. They use the blocks for supporting ships in the drydock, I guess it doesn't float away.

BTW, I mentioned purpleheart earlier. I saw a block of the wood about 3' long, 2' wide and 1' thick, yes, must've weighed over a hundred lbs. They use the blocks for supporting ships in the drydock, I guess it doesn't float away.

Nice! Let us know when you post that purpleheart boat anchor tutorial, I'm looking forward to that. :D

The neck is looking good. Definitely keep the progress pics on this one rolling in. What, if any, finish are you going to use on the neck? Either way, that is going to be a very cool looking neck. Very nice wood choices/contrast. J