Signing Guitar - What To Use?

awilcox

I would like to sign my name on the back of the headstock of my guitars. What is the best way to do this. I was thinking 3 or 4 coats of lacquer, sign my name with a marker, then finish my clearcoats. Is this correct and what type of marker should I use? The finish is nitrocellulose. Thanks.

I have a guitar signed by Steve Vai. When a friend and I had it done we did some research and the consensus was a paint marker, but that was on top of the paint/laquer.

I've heard that you can apply laquer over signatures to preserve them so I'm not sure why it wouldn't work. You might just want to check your particular marker with your laquer first to make sure the laquer won't make the ink run before you put it on one of your fine instruments.

BigM555

Frank Ford has a good tutorial on finishing over a signature:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Te...elebsigsig.html

Me, I use the Melvyn Hiscock trick and, instead of a decal or similar, sign all of my guitars on the front of the headstock. I use ordinary markers, black, silver or gold. But I use waterbourne finished.

• 1 month later...