Fender P Bass Deluxe Special

Ok, so a kid from my school recently bought a 2006 Fender P Bass Deluxe (even though he never played bass before). It's his first bass which i think is sort of ridiculous for a beginner, but thats just me. Well, He says he got it "used but in new condition" (thats his exact quote) for only $290. But the biggest problem is that he bought it from guitar center (probably the biggest rip-off store ever). My question is, does a p-bass like this depreciate in value THAT much or is he lying about the condition? ( I don't know anything about basses). He says its in great condition but i think for that price, it would be kinda crappy.

Here's the musician's friend link for reference:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fen...ass-?sku=515201

Why not? MF only lists it for $600-- In other words, it's Made In Mexico and is hardly an instrument that will appreciate or retain value. Fender name or not, it's just another assembly-line guitar that seems to be a pretty cool piece of gear for the money. I bought a used Godin LG (consignment) for about half of what it listed for new.

It doesn't seem like $290 is that far off the mark. I also don't think it's a "ridiculous" piece of gear for a beginner. If a beginner has a bit of cash (say, $290) they should get the best gear they can without being ludicrous. He wouldn't be doing himself any favours by getting a $100 special. This bass seems like it could last well beyond his "beginner" phase, assuming he sticks to it.

So, bottom line-- you're overestimating that bass, and it's quite possible that this kid from school is telling the truth. :D

Why not? MF only lists it for $600-- In other words, it's Made In Mexico and is hardly an instrument that will appreciate or retain value. Fender name or not, it's just another assembly-line guitar that seems to be a pretty cool piece of gear for the money. I bought a used Godin LG (consignment) for about half of what it listed for new.

It doesn't seem like $290 is that far off the mark. I also don't think it's a "ridiculous" piece of gear for a beginner. If a beginner has a bit of cash (say, $290) they should get the best gear they can without being ludicrous. He wouldn't be doing himself any favours by getting a $100 special. This bass seems like it could last well beyond his "beginner" phase, assuming he sticks to it.

So, bottom line-- you're overestimating that bass, and it's quite possible that this kid from school is telling the truth. :D

I only thought that it would be ridiculous if he actually paid $500-$600 for it. If he paid $290 then thats good for him, i just didn't know if fender basses would depreciate value. I was misled, thats for correcting that.

Yeah, MIM assembly-line guitars can certainly depreciate. Even a brand new Made-in-USA Fender Strat, used, will sell for less than it cost new. They don't start gaining value the minute you walk out the door with them, because they're not one-of-a-kind or collectible. Thousands and thousands of them (Even Made-in-USA) roll off the factory line monthly. It would be pretty tough to convince anybody that anything but a true collectible (50's, 60's... some people are starting to value 70's including the 3-bolt versions) has gained value from the date of its original purchase. A MIM jobbie even less likely (near to impossible) to do anything BUT depreciate.

The only way these things gain value is when they're sought-after for some reason, naturally. Let's say for some reason, researchers identified that a... I dunno... 1992 USA P-bass had a slight variation in its manufacturing compared to other years. Then players for whatever reason started recognizing an improved tone or playability. And perhaps it came in a colour only available in 92/93 or something... (I'm just talking in cloudland here). It would start gaining a reputation and would therefore start becoming collectible and would therefore begin to appreciate. My Guild acoustic is MAYBE becoming a bit collectible because they got purchased by Fender and the manufacturing process changed from when I got my guitar.

This bass ain't that. :D

Now, I don't mean to contradict you and make you feel bad or anything, but even $500-600 isn't too much money for someone to spend on their first instrument. I think people should save their money for an extra month and get something with a bit of quality to it, as their first, whenever possible. If the extra $150-200 represents a LOT more than a month, then eventually you're just going to have to purchase within your resources, which is what this kid seems to have done. Point being, spending money on a first instrument isn't necessarily a bad thing-- It inspires you to play when you're not fighting with the gear. I might have become a skateboarder if I had realized as a kid that my "Consumer's Distributing" skateboard would never allow me to do ollies or roll along properly (it was heavy and the bearings were no good!). Years later, I tried out a "real" skateboard and went, "OH! It wasn't just me!" Of course, now I'm an old fart.

Greg