P90's With Tune-o-matic

Geo

I'm envisioning a guitar with a TOM, with the same neck angle, bridge placement, etc. as a Les Paul, but as a semi-hollow with P90's. Since it's semi-hollow, I intend to use "dogear" P90's (the ones that could hang in a hole with no wood beneath them). So... is this incompatible with a TOM bridge? I.e., on a Les Paul the bridge pickup is considerably higher relative to the top than the neck pickup. I think this is a problem with using dogear P90's in this setup.

Of course I'll have an exact plan before I cut any wood. :D

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Edited by Geo

It can be made to work as long as you plan for the neck angle and the height the top of the neck sits above the top of the body accordingly. Although, as guitars and guitar hardware goes, most things can be made to work if you plan your build well enough.

Thanks.

So I should probably start over (mentally). Get the bridge and pickups and then base everything off that, i.e. not copying the LP neck angle and bridge placement and centerline body carve, but arriving at whatever dimensions suit the hardware.

Edited by Geo

If you're going with an LP style neck joint, then yes, you'll need to adjust the carve of the body to suit the neck height and angle that's dictated by both the bridge and pickup heights. Of course, the bridge height should be a function of your dogear p90 heights. If you're going to use a PRS neck joint, then the carve can stay the same and only the neck height and angle will need adjustment.