I Want To Have An On Board Stutter Effect- Any Ideas?

guitardeam0n

Sometimes simplicity is king. I vote for a "momentary, normal on" temporary switch. It's a button that kills your signal when it's pressed but otherwise normally completes the circuit (your signal gets through).

The reason I think this is better than any "fancier" approach (a square-wave tremelo circuit for example) is that you don't have to tap in the temp of the song, and the tempo isn't static. Your fingers are more than capable of a "stutter" for the number of times you're going to use it.

If it's something that's a vital part of your sound, I would invest in a pedal instead of on-board. For on-board, kill-switch momentary button is the way to go. :D

If I'm not mistaken, you just need to wire it in-line with the output jack. Pretty simple operation, I would think. If there's a better place than in-line with the output jack, someone else can pipe in.

Sometimes simplicity is king. I vote for a "momentary, normal on" temporary switch. It's a button that kills your signal when it's pressed but otherwise normally completes the circuit (your signal gets through).

If I'm not mistaken, you just need to wire it in-line with the output jack. Pretty simple operation, I would think. If there's a better place than in-line with the output jack, someone else can pipe in.

If you do go with the kill switch, you should get a N.O. momentary switch, and put it between your signal and ground wires. This is MUCH quieter than using the N.C. switch and breaking the circuit. It should go between your output jack and the rest of your electronics. I've done this on both of my guitars with no problems.

If you really do need the hard trem effect, and don't mind doing some routing in your guitar, you could probably work something out with a 555 timer and a transistor to short the signal to ground.

Edited by thebhef

I can't tell if you're agreeing with me or not. :D

I didn't officially take any stance, really. I do agree that the momentary button would be much easier. I know a short is much quieter than an open circuit, too, so I guess I don't agree with that.

A/D

1|1

What about an effects processor and an expression pedal? That'd give the on-the-fly variability you're looking for, without bending over (unless you count the cost of the equipment). :D

A similar idea was posted a bit ago that involved using a circuit intended for modifying an xbox controller.

I thought it was a good idea personally- The circuit could probably be easily adapted for your needs.

A similar idea was posted a bit ago that involved using a circuit intended for modifying an xbox controller.

I thought it was a good idea personally- The circuit could probably be easily adapted for your needs.

Except a guitar doesn't provide you with power like an XBox controller does, so you will have to make room for a 9v in your guitar, which can be a deal breaker for some people.