Fattening Up Digital Sound

Xanthus

Howdy! So, in the very near future I'm planning on getting my hands on a Vetta II on the cheap. I've got a PodXT Live right now (the floor controller one), and consider myself a big Line6 fan. I like to tweak effects, layer effects a bunch and I like having a ton of options.

Well, I was thinking of how I would go about "tube-ing" up the Vetta if and when I get it, or even my Pod right now. I know some people would call it sacrilege, polishing a turd, some would say go out and buy a tube amp, and believe me, I would if I had the cash to blow. A Triaxis/G Major/VHT setup would be sweet, believe me. Too bad I want to keep both my kidneys.

The guitarist for a band I'm in has a Boss GT something, basically the Boss version of the XT Live, feeding into the front end of a pretty old Marshall head, one of the ones with no master volume. From there he goes into a 1960 cab. He said he's basically using the Marshall as a straight power amp ("tone coloring" debate aside) and feeding his speakers. I could buy a power amp and go that route, but because I'm never really driving any speakers (I'm a recording musician mostly) I don't see the real point in investing that much money to plug into my computer.

Option 2: Get something like the VHT Valvulator. Tube direct box, the VHT website says to put it before the preamp of a modeler. I don't see this as really effective. It sounds like plugging in the power amp before the preamp, and pushing the "front end" of the XT even harder. I was thinking of putting it in between the XT and my recording box, just seems more logical to me. Also, something like the GT Ditto or The Brick, which seem to be the same thing.

Option 3: This just occurred to me, though I've never tried it. I wonder what the difference in sound would be between going direct from the XT to the mixer, or feeding the XT through some speakers and micing up the speakers. This'd probably be considered option 1.5. I'm thinking it'd sound much different, if only for the fact that now you're actually pushing some air.

So I just wanted to know what some other people who use primarily (or even just occasionally) modeling equipment and what their own personal solutions were. Gear suggestions, setup chains, mods, whatever. Every response helps :D

The guitarist for a band I'm in has a Boss GT something, basically the Boss version of the XT Live, feeding into the front end of a pretty old Marshall head, one of the ones with no master volume. From there he goes into a 1960 cab. He said he's basically using the Marshall as a straight power amp ("tone coloring" debate aside) and feeding his speakers. I could buy a power amp and go that route, but because I'm never really driving any speakers (I'm a recording musician mostly) I don't see the real point in investing that much money to plug into my computer.

that looks like my set-up: boss gt-8 >> poweramp >> speakers.

i do like my tone a lot, and the gt is really tweakable. my poweramp is a beast, i never tried a solid state because i got a good deal, it is an engl. The cab also does, but it is not as good.

Lately i've bouth a tube preamp and i use it in the loop of the gt but i´m afraid you cannot do that with the line 6.

Option 2: Get something like the VHT Valvulator. Tube direct box, the VHT website says to put it before the preamp of a modeler. I don't see this as really effective. It sounds like plugging in the power amp before the preamp, and pushing the "front end" of the XT even harder. I was thinking of putting it in between the XT and my recording box, just seems more logical to me. Also, something like the GT Ditto or The Brick, which seem to be the same thing.

to me it makes no sense. if you like the sound of the pod stay with it. if you want a tube sound get a tube preamp (to use it for recording) you can have a nice one for round 250$ (like a mesa v-twin for example).

if the problem is that you like your presets but you miss something in them it may be a problem with eq also.

Option 3: This just occurred to me, though I've never tried it. I wonder what the difference in sound would be between going direct from the XT to the mixer, or feeding the XT through some speakers and micing up the speakers. This'd probably be considered option 1.5. I'm thinking it'd sound much different, if only for the fact that now you're actually pushing some air.

that is of course very reasonable. yesterday i went to my friend's house, he's got a pod 2.0. i don't really like pod (i miss options compared to my gt) but it does sound really good. i started to play with headphones but soon my head started to sweat and i connected to the return effect input of his peavey classic 30, the difference is huge to me.

Of course that is a lot more money involved but a lot more to tweak. The amp, the speaker, the mic.

You could ask a friend to bring an amp, get a mic from another (or use one of yours if you have) connect everything and give it a try. if you like playing with things that is going to suit you well XD, then again you won't be able to record at late night :D

I have explained things a bit without order, hope my opinion helps.

Jesus

Thanks a lot, Jesus! No you're right, there's no effects loop in the XT, but there is one in the Vetta! I'm not sure how effective it would be to have the preamp of the vetta going into an external power amp, when the Vetta already has its own power amp...

I'm actually thinking of bringing my XT down to practice one day and doing an experiment through my friend's power amp/cab. I know that it's going to color the tone a bit (I dunno if it has an effects loop I can plug into), but if it sounds better, it'll be either because of 1) the tube power amp, or 2) just the air-pushing effects of the cab. I don't have the vetta (yet :D) but if it's just the air-pushing quality, then I'll be able to mic the Vetta's speakers and not need to buy anything B)

As far as tube power amps, I was looking at the Carvin chrome one, because I've always been impressed with their equipment and the quality of their work.

Man, I really wish the Vetta came in preamp form, then I'd just buy a power amp and be done with it :D

As far as tube power amps, I was looking at the Carvin chrome one, because I've always been impressed with their equipment and the quality of their work.

if i lived in the states/canada i would have one. Indeed i´m thinking of bringing one to Spain when i go to Washington next January/February. They wire it for our mains!!!! god that is great. just too much gear i would like to bring from there :D

, there's no effects loop in the XT, but there is one in the Vetta!

i didn't realise maybe you just want to use the vetta and not the live xt, sounds reassonable to me. if it has a loop give a tube preamp a go, i personally love how it feels in my setup. about coloration, just tastes. anyway it's going to be digitallized in a cd :D but everything can sound good if done right.

glad it helped. byes

Edited by cr_XD

Hmm, I was reading up reviews of the Valvulator, and most people say it gives good kick in front of a modeler. Others say no, but what I found interesting was the fact that everyone with active pickup guitars don't like using the Valvulator in front of a Pod. The active pickups are already punching the Pod hard as it is, and the V doesn't ease that problem.

So I suppose that solves that question for me, sigh.

Onward, in the quest for TONE!