Mappa Burl Tops/billets

komodo

Howdy,

Does anyone have any interest in mappa burl for tops?

I have seen Parker use it and Jerzy Drozd the bass maker. It can be a STUNNING wood, used usually as veneers for private jets, sports cars, yachts, etc etc. It is virtually impossible to find it in anything but veneer, and usually it has to be shipped right from the Mediterranean (Italy, Croatia, etc). Soon, I may purchase a larger quantity with the idea of resawing some for tops to help cover the costs, and wonder if there is interest?

It is possible that i could supply 1" solid tops, around 14" x 24", 1" bookmatched, or 1/2" bookmatched. I imagine that I could sell a decent amount on Ebay as well if need be. Just putting out a feeler here first before I make a leap.

Thanks!

Komodo

Howdy,

Does anyone have any interest in mappa burl for tops?

I have seen Parker use it and Jerzy Drozd the bass maker. It can be a STUNNING wood, used usually as veneers for private jets, sports cars, yachts, etc etc. It is virtually impossible to find it in anything but veneer, and usually it has to be shipped right from the Mediterranean (Italy, Croatia, etc). Soon, I may purchase a larger quantity with the idea of resawing some for tops to help cover the costs, and wonder if there is interest?

It is possible that i could supply 1" solid tops, around 14" x 24", 1" bookmatched, or 1/2" bookmatched. I imagine that I could sell a decent amount on Ebay as well if need be. Just putting out a feeler here first before I make a leap.

Thanks!

Komodo

I am not sure how much you have dealt with burls, but be careful about overestimating yield. There can be a lot of waste with burled woods, sometimes stability issues or major defects really limit usable size. Also you have to remember burls are not generally consistent in terms of figure. Often a large portion of a burl block has mediocre figure. Solid lace burls in large size are hard to come by, and defects generally abound. Also keep in mind drying issues, often burled wood is not fully dry in large size and this type of wood is highly unstable during drying. I suspect that if you actually have a 1" thick billet of solid lace burl, you would do better to sell it in thinner sets for tops(pretty much the same reason it is usually sold as veneer). Burl offers little structure(in terms of strength or resonance), and is challenging as a carved top.

Good luck,

Rich

I am not sure how much you have dealt with burls, but be careful about overestimating yield. There can be a lot of waste with burled woods, sometimes stability issues or major defects really limit usable size. Also you have to remember burls are not generally consistent in terms of figure. Often a large portion of a burl block has mediocre figure. Solid lace burls in large size are hard to come by, and defects generally abound. Also keep in mind drying issues, often burled wood is not fully dry in large size and this type of wood is highly unstable during drying. I suspect that if you actually have a 1" thick billet of solid lace burl, you would do better to sell it in thinner sets for tops(pretty much the same reason it is usually sold as veneer). Burl offers little structure(in terms of strength or resonance), and is challenging as a carved top.

Good luck,

Rich

I hear ya Rich. I am taking into consideration the yeild, and will be able to check pics of everything before shipping. IF I can arrange this it is with a veneer manufacturer so the quality of the burl should be consistent and high. Also, the wood is dried already, and I actually have a choice of air or kiln! That was a bit of a shocker.