Head + Cab Or Combo

black_labb

hi guys, ive just recieved the bits and pieces to make the amp ive been planning on for a while. the amp is a variation on a fender 5e3 deluxe (thats the tweed era one)

I have started to think that i may be better off making a head and a 2x10 cab, as opposed to the 2x10 combo amp. i think ill porobably end up making another amp (or a few) and speakers are probably the most expensive parts. having a head and cab means that i can use the cab, or it along with another cab with the next amp i make to save money. having a cab and head would probably mean that the amp would be less likely to be damaged as well.

making a combo would be good as it would take up less space in the car, and it would also be a more traditional looking amp, but it is a 2x10 (as opposed to a 1x12) amp and not going to be the tweed look, so its not like im going for a perfect reproduction (the circuit is different anyway).

what do you guys suggest and why? anyting i should consider?

• 2 weeks later...
having a cab and head would probably mean that the amp would be less likely to be damaged as well.

or maybe that there are two things that can get damaged and to worry about.

i had always prefered combos, but if you like having several amps, head + cab gets you more sound combinations. i like it now more. just a matter of taste, if you are going for several amps, i would go for head+cab