First Build. A Few Questions

So after a lot of searching and not finding what i want, I decided to build myself a guitar. Plus I think it would be a fun project.

I want to build the guitar around the Ibanez S style body shape, but i couldn't find any dimensions on the net. Does anybody knows them?

When you measure the scale to the which point of the floyd rose bridge do you measure.

How do you measure the radius of the fretboard. I ran into things like 400 or 430. But what does that mean?

Any help would be appreciated.

When you measure the scale to the which point of the floyd rose bridge do you measure.

Scale length = [distance from nut edge (fingerboard side, obviously!) to centre of 12th fret wire] x 2

I would go with that instead of trying to guess which Floyd saddle was in the right place!!

May I ask the opposite question (I hope it's useful info for the OP too) ??

By your definition above I know where the theoretical scale end lies on the body (it's a line parallel to the frets and nut).

Now where do you position your bridge around this ?? Are there any rules as to how to distribute saddle travel span around the theoretical "zero" for the different strings ??

TIA

Scale length = [distance from nut edge (fingerboard side, obviously!) to centre of 12th fret wire] x 2

I would go with that instead of trying to guess which Floyd saddle was in the right place!!

May I ask the opposite question (I hope it's useful info for the OP too) ??

By your definition above I know where the theoretical scale end lies on the body (it's a line parallel to the frets and nut).

Now where do you position your bridge around this ?? Are there any rules as to how to distribute saddle travel span around the theoretical "zero" for the different strings ??

TIA

Simplest: measure a guitar with the same scale and go from there.

Basically, though, you will never, ever need to have the string shorter than the true scale length (ie, twice the distance from nut to twelfth), usually needing about 3mm for the low E, between nothing and 1mm for the high E. Ish. Depends on scale, strings, and tuning. I tend to set things so the high E is at the scale length at the most forward possible point along its travel, low E about 3mm behind that.

There are discussions on this subject here, and certainly in the MIMF.com library, particularly with regard to tunomatic bridge placement.

However, if you've got a fairly standard type bridge, go to stewmac.com/fretcalc, type in the details, and the calculator tells you where to drill your bridge studs and/or screw holes. Easy, right?

However, if you've got a fairly standard type bridge, go to stewmac.com/fretcalc, type in the details, and the calculator tells you where to drill your bridge studs and/or screw holes. Easy, right?

Yup, I just looked at that link, put in some info, and it does indeed give you a very useful reply! Nice one!

Thanks for the pointer!

DJ

I highly recommend Melvyn Hiscocks' book, Build an Electric Guitar. Available through several outlets like Amazom.com and book stores. He covers everything in building a guitar from scratch.

Where are you? please fill in you location in your profile.

Welcome, Vinny

Great page that one !!

Of course, the bridge I'm using isn't there (wilkinson wrap-around), but I can surely work it out from the given info. Thanks !!

Great page that one !!

Of course, the bridge I'm using isn't there (wilkinson wrap-around), but I can surely work it out from the given info. Thanks !!

Or email StewMac and ask. Bit odd, really, since they do sell the Gotoh Wilky stud tailpiece bridge unit, as well as a pigtail fully adjustable bridge. Overall, though, you can probably use the TOM info, although the pre-compensated bridges can be installed straight or nearly straight.