Run In My Color Coat

fookgub

I've been working on color coats for my Tonemaster build, and I've run into a snag. I'm using 1# cut shellac tinted with LMI dye concentrates. The first coat curtained around the neck pocket on the side of the guitar, leaving a dark ridge. I tried to sand the ridge out, but I just ended up making the surrounding area lighter. After another coat, the ridge is clearly visible, and there is a light patch around it from the sanding. I know I could strip and start over, but I'm hoping to find an easier solution.

So far here is what I've come up with:

1. Carefully tape around the ridge with masking tape, then sand until it matches.

2. Use a fine tipped artist's brush with alcohol and/or more tinted shellac to try to blend the ridge in and darken up the affected area.

I don't mind if the fix isn't perfect. If it is very faint or looks like a grain line, it won't bother me. Also, I still have two coats to go, which I'm hoping will help obscure imperfections in the first couple coats.

Any ideas? I know the initial reaction will be "don't be lazy! Strip it and start over." But this project has been languishing for a while and I would really like to get it done before I run out of good painting weather. Plus the shellac really likes to run, and I can't guarantee that I will avoid future runs even if I do start over.

Edited by fookgub

Using automotive paints I would use a razor blade to carefully clean it up. Yup a razor blade, I usually wrap both sides with masking tape and use it like a plane. It takes some practice but works like a charm.

I know others that wrap a paint stick in fine grade sand paper and kind of do the same thing. Make sure its cured first.

Using automotive paints I would use a razor blade to carefully clean it up. Yup a razor blade, I usually wrap both sides with masking tape and use it like a plane. It takes some practice but works like a charm.

I know others that wrap a paint stick in fine grade sand paper and kind of do the same thing. Make sure its cured first.

Razor blade sounds like a promising option for the edge buildup. I tried the paintbrush thing last night on the big run near the neck pocket and just made things worse. I think I'm going to sand out the affected area and use my small gun to touch it up (along with a couple patchy areas on the sides).

Well, the razor blade trick didn't work. Seemed like a good idea, but I just couldn't get it to go. I'm going to strip the guitar and start over. This time I'll use a heavier cut of shellac, which I hope will not be as prone to running.