String Ferrules

You'd almost always want to use smaller ferrules on the top than on the back, as they're more asthetically pleasing, and the only purpose of the top ferrules is to protect the wood being dug into from the string - they don't need to hold the ball end like the ones on the back do. I suppose the same larger ferrules used on the back would work, but they'd look odd.

Stew Mac carries the ferrules in question:

string through top ferrules

Other options would be to simply use small sections of metal tubing, inlay or mount a plate with holes (Which I suppose is what is happening with a Tele bridge, when you think about it) or to angle the string exit holes in a fashion that string doesn't dig in to the wood (This is seen on many Godin guitars with the "slots" behind the bridge)

Thanks for that info, I thought that smaller ones were best for the top. I have just looked at Stewmac and they won't ship ferrules to the UK because they're Non-RoHS Compliant (Whatever that means!). Does anyone know were I can get them in the UK, because I've searched and I can only find the larger ones for the back of the gitar. Cheers

Thanks for that info, I thought that smaller ones were best for the top. I have just looked at Stewmac and they won't ship ferrules to the UK because they're Non-RoHS Compliant (Whatever that means!). Does anyone know were I can get them in the UK, because I've searched and I can only find the larger ones for the back of the gitar. Cheers

RoHS=Restriction of Hazardous Substances directive, not sure why it applies here tho'...could be the nickel content?? [i work for a jewellery manufacturer, and a few years back this thing came out called the Nickel Directive, which meant it was no longer legal to use metal with a nickel content.]

Guitarheads.net will also sell you a set. I've had some from them, and I'm in UK too. They also sell on the 'Bay.

DJ

Thanks for all the help guys, bought them from guitarheads. Shame I had to buy 2 sets cos I'm building a 7 string. Oh well, at least I'll have some spares.

Bollocks, sorry mate! I should have told you to email them to ask for a set of 7 cos that's exactly what I did for my project 7 string too!!! :D

Guess I assumed they were for a 6 string, since almost everything is sold in sets of 6.....as you're no doubt well aware by now!

I find it's always worth asking about sets of 7 - ferrules, tuners, etc

DJ

Go onto http://www.ebay.co.uk and search for the seller "CHGUITARS". Tell Chris "user_id_and_password" (my eBay username) referred you! Chris has broken sets of ferrules and even tuners for my builds in the past. An overall on the ball guy. Do say please though ;-D

+1 Prostheta!!

Yeah, I've used Chris on several occasions, in fact I've just recommended him to someone in another topic!

He's never let me down. Quick delivery, sensible postage costs, and well packed items! I've also had some 7 string bits from him, incl. tuners and ferrules! Nice guy too.

DJ