Normal Pickups On An Acoustic? Possible?

natwalk

Hi all this might be impossible I'm not sure I think I heard somewhere that acoustic guitar pickups are big time different from normal electric pickups. What I'm thinking of doing is getting a stacked humbucker pickup and mounting it in a soundhole pickup that I have that I don't really use as it's a bit on the cheap side and doesn't sound great (plus the buzz from it being a single coil type hence the stacked humbucker). The pickup that is mounted in it at present is a standard single coil size with normal mounting screws etc. So my big question is is this even possible? will it sound lousey for some reason that I haven't thought of?

any help with this would really be appreciated,

Thanks all in advance,

Nate :D

possible but you need to mod around a bit too......

you need an earth to the strings.

Stewmac do a beastie called a plate mate for repairing damaged bridge plates.

3633_1sm.jpg

if you solder the earth on your pup to this, then all your steel strings (didn't I mention steel strings?) will make an electrical connection to the circuit

oh yes, you'll need steel strings........

Cool, thanks for that, I thought that I might need to use steel rather than the brass strings I've got on it now. One thing though, why doesn't it need a string earth now? It's just a thing that clips into the soundhole with the single coil pickup mounted in it, the tone and volume controls are in it and so is the jack, its an easily removed pickup system (and it was cheap).

Nate

:D

3633_1sm.jpg

if you solder the earth on your pup to this, then all your steel strings (didn't I mention steel strings?) will make an electrical connection to the circuit

I used the Dean Markley one, too. It's just a low-profile (also low-but-sufficient output) single-coil with integrated cable. I've been thinking of making my own soundhole pickup for a while now, and while having it low and sleek like this or the Dean Markley would make changes quick and easy, you should be able to design almost any sort of removable mount that will accomodate almost any pickup, if you're willing to go with one that can only be switched by severely slacking or removing the strings. In other words, a full-sized humbucker mounted in a special wooden "frame" would likely be too tall to just slip under the strings and into the soundhole, but you could still come up with a mounting mechanism that would work when the strings aren't an issue.

Greg

I used the Dean Markley one, too. It's just a low-profile (also low-but-sufficient output) single-coil with integrated cable. I've been thinking of making my own soundhole pickup for a while now, and while having it low and sleek like this or the Dean Markley would make changes quick and easy, you should be able to design almost any sort of removable mount that will accomodate almost any pickup, if you're willing to go with one that can only be switched by severely slacking or removing the strings. In other words, a full-sized humbucker mounted in a special wooden "frame" would likely be too tall to just slip under the strings and into the soundhole, but you could still come up with a mounting mechanism that would work when the strings aren't an issue.

Greg

Hey Greg Yeah I really lijke the sound of the Dean pickup, have used it on a few recordings mixed with a mic gives a great detailed sound but still really obviously accoustic. I was actually thinking of modding the pickup I have (the old one not the Dean one) so it already has a single coil setup and 'frame', I've test fitted an old strat copy single coil I had laying around and it fits fine so I was looking to see if there was a way to fit a stacked Humbucker in its place and what else I would need to do basically, other than swap to steel strings rather than the bronze/ brass ones on it now.

Nathan

Why swap the bronze for steel? Are you specifically looking to make it sound more electric-guitarish? The bronze-wrapped strings, as you know, will still generate a signal on a traditional pickup.

Why swap the bronze for steel? Are you specifically looking to make it sound more electric-guitarish? The bronze-wrapped strings, as you know, will still generate a signal on a traditional pickup.

Steel strings are not necessary, nor is grounding the strings.

Maybe he is reading the delusion going on in the string as magnet thread?

the beatles did this a long time ago, why not pay over the odds for a re-issue

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gib...tric?sku=517028

truth is it doesnt work that well - sounds ok but any hint of volume will cause feedback problems..... fun though!!

Acoustic feedback on any full volume guitar body is always a possibility - it doesn't matter where or what kind of pickup is used. That goes for thinline electrics as well.

Actually I was referring to the first reply I recieved (quoted below), I'd actually rather keep the brass strings as I like the sound of the guitar as is, just wanted to experiment with the old pickup system which I no-longer use. Thanks for all the responses, guess I'll get that stacked humbucker and give it a go then. Will let you guys know how it pans out.

Nate

:D

3633_1sm.jpg

Edited by natwalk