Tips On Storing Tools

ihocky2

I am slowly acquiring and learning how to use hand tools and was wondering what is the best method to protect them from moisture during storage. I cleaned up and tuned several hand planes and noticed that they are start to build a thin layer of rust on the soles and sides. The blades are also developing a little rust as well. I am sure over time my chisels and card scrapers will as well. What is the best way to prevent rust that will not cause problems the next time I go to use them on wood? I know that silicone is a no-no. Would a light layer of oil work and then just make sure I clean it off before the next use? I also had a few blades come back from a sharpening service that had a protective plasticy-wax type coating over the blade edge, similar to what router bits come covered in but easier to remove, can anyone tell me what that stuff is and where to get some. I would like to use some of that to protect blade edges when they are being stored for some time.

I like to apply a thin coating of wax to my chisels and planes, then give it a light buff with a cloth. It keeps the rust at bay, and doesn't cause the problems which oiling tools can (like transfer to woods, sticky hands etc). I apply it when I have a sharpening session, after I've honed all the tools.

At the moment I use a neutrol shoe wax, but I'ds advise caution with this - you'll find many shoe waxes contain silicone. Paste wax is supposed to be good, but I odn't have any at hand.

I have to check on if it has any silicone in it, but I have a can of carnuba wax in the garage that seems like it might work then. I always read that you want to avoid getting wax on the wood though because the finish won't take. So why doesn't waxing the tools cause the wax to transfer to the wood?