Gluing A Strat-style & Pocket ....

fyb

I know something like this has come up but I can't seem to find the threads! So please forgive me if this has been covered.

I saw this set neck strat and was trying to figure out how they did the neck joint. Could you do a basic strat joint and just glue it? What if you made the neck and pocket a little deeper, say 3/4" or even 1"? The reason I ask is that I want to do something similar with a quartersawn neck, but I can't find quartered maple much thicker than 1". Any help would be appreciated!

I know something like this has come up but I can't seem to find the threads! So please forgive me if this has been covered.

I saw this set neck strat and was trying to figure out how they did the neck joint. Could you do a basic strat joint and just glue it? What if you made the neck and pocket a little deeper, say 3/4" or even 1"? The reason I ask is that I want to do something similar with a quartersawn neck, but I can't find quartered maple much thicker than 1". Any help would be appreciated!

If you want to use a basic Strat style neck joint then you should just make it a bolt on and skip the glue. However, If you are going to make the neck and body then you have many more options. You can mod a Strat body to make the pocket deep and long for your custom neck. However, if the neck attachment holes are drilled in the body they will show and need to be plugged.

I would make the pocket deeper than a standard Fender Strat but would also make it longer so that the neck tenon would go under the neck pickup. It would depend on the thickness of your guitar body so if you are building the neck and body I would suggest that you draw the whole guitar out on paper to see how it looks.

If you are going to use a pickguard like the guitar in the link you provided you can make the neck tenon longer and it will be easier to hide. In that picture that guitar has extra wood added to the heel area of the neck to make it thicker and add a decorative touch. You could also add a piece of quartersawn wood to the heel of a 1" piece to make it the thickness you need so your tenon can extend to or even under the pickup that you use. Most of the tenon style necks that I have made have the extra wood glued on to make the tenon bigger as opposed to using a bigger piece of wood.

Good Luck,

Jeff

to do a heel like in the pic, you do the following.

-get neck glue other wood to bottom of the heal.

- have the wood where the neck pocket is routed be longer than the end of the heel

- glue neck in

- carv excess heal pocket wood into the neck, and you get the layerd effect like in the pic.

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...c=13723&hl=

like in the thread above from perry. but with the other pieces of wood glued to the bottom of the heal, you will get that effect.