Humidity Forcast

http://merv.metr.ou.edu/weather/run12z/zz_usa_rhum.html

I posted this at OLF, but it got bad reviews. For those who dont have humidty control in their house, and build in the garage, this might give you a heads up as to when it may be acceptable to build, and when it will be a No Way Jose' days to build, so you can plan a few days, even a week ahead. Its just another tool for those of us doing this on the cheap. Alot of first timers will not have dehumidifiers.

I used this to plan for some minor glue up today and it was fairly accurate, but I know that Tuesday will be a no way jose' day, as well as some other days next week.

You need to have your wood at the proper humidity to begin with of course. :D

Does anyone have a Humidifier? :D I swear my area hasn't hit above 20% in a week and should actually go down a little more this coming week as the Santa Ana's pick up again. If you want just ship your stuff out here, I'll open the box for about 20 minutes and then ship it back, you should be good to go then and have a week before it regains its moisture, haha, plus the weight to ship back will be like a tenth of what it would to ship here. I swear I could dry a Redwood trunk in a week out here. Anyhow, cool map and good point I always avoid doing almost anything on those humid days just to avoid any complications that may occur, especially since those days are out of the ordinary around here. J

Edited by jmrentis

GW,

You can adjust your temp. to compensate for shifts in humidity. Warmer air holds moisture better than cold. Look in the woodworkers handbook, it has examples of moisture content in wood that you want to maintain, and how much you need to raise your inside temp. vs your outside temp. and ambient humidity. Sometimes it can be a little difficult. As an example, if you have 90% humidity on a 90 degree day(nasty stuff), and your trying to maintain an 8% moisture content in wood. You would need to raise the temp. 23 degrees (up to 113 deg. F) to hold it at 8%. If you brought the temp up to about 125 deg. F it may even slowely lose a bit of moisture. That is an extream example, but raising the temp. will increase the ability of the air to hold more moisture. So maybe take a bit of a tip from the old masters and through another log on the fire.

Peace,Rich

Thanks, I still need a strait edge, and another $$ to finish the first one. A dehumidifier is on the list, but not today. Maybe for the third. I know that this weather page has been pretty accurate so far, and I see Im gonna get waterlogged tomorrow. Im thinking plastic bags to try to keep the humidty I have now somewhat normal. It seems to be a great tool for fair weather lutheri.

Ok here is an update. My Hygrometer reads about 38% today, check out colorado: When it was predicting 70% humidity, the hygrometer read about 55, so within the bounds of yes or no, can I glue up tomorrow, for those who dont have humidity control but live where it gets below 50% alot of the time, this so far seems to be accurate! :D

zz_usa_rhum_6.png

GW,

You need to really read this-link, and understand the relationship between heat(indoors in particular) and the relationship to the ability of air to hold moisture. The ability of glue to dry(or evaporation to occur) indoors vs outdoors is very different. This may help you if you want to truly control the conditions while glueing or working on your guitars. If you don't understand these concepts, your only gettig half the picture.

Peace,Rich