Question

rifferm

If you're going with a solid color, the best way is to scuff the finish with a ScotchBrite pad or some fine sandpaper and use it as a sealer/undercoat. If you're dead set on stripping it, check these tutorials:

Stripping a body using heat:

Stripping by using chemicals:

Stripping a body by sanding:

Brian's done a great job of outlining the options and the hassles of each method.

Yes, just scuff it and prime and paint as if it were new - the only problem you might run into is if the finish is already really thick, you might have clearance problems when you go to reassemble it, but the Squires I've worked on aren't tight enough to make me worry about it, and if the neck pocket is tight, it'll make the guitar sound better. Remember to mask out the cavities before you prime and paint, and go to it!

All the Squires I've repainted have a thick poly finish. If you are painting over it, I'd recommend a 320 grit paper to rough it up until entire surface is evenly dull. Blow and wipe dry and shoot your primer. You can smooth the dry primer with 400 grit and shoot colot next. Follow lovekrafts instructions...good luck.