My First Acoustic Project

Hi everybody,

I am not sure who asked for these, but here are some pics of my first lutheiry project. I apologize that I had not posted these earlier. I finished this a few months ago. I have since started variety of other projects beginning with a nice curly maple thinline tele (possibly fretless) and have plans for an carved top les paul, and a strat / ibanez project. I built this for myself in a class, this beauty started off as a kit offered through Stew Mac.

Looking at these pics it reminds me how much I need to make a brand label for the sound hole. The drops of water from the wet sanding look a bit gross. Other than that this baby sounds and plays like a dream.

P1010227-1.jpg

P1010234-1.jpg

P1010229-2.jpg

P1010231-1.jpg

P1010241.jpg

P1010240.jpg

Edited by phoenix_rising

Nice job :D . How was the kit for your first (were the parts and instructions good for you, or were there any little issues)? I have never built with a kit, but some people feel that is the smartest approch for a first. A few comments from your perspective after completing one might be real handy for guys debating on how to tackle their first acoustic.

Peace,Rich

Nice job :D . How was the kit for your first (were the parts and instructions good for you, or were there any little issues)? I have never built with a kit, but some people feel that is the smartest approch for a first. A few comments from your perspective after completing one might be real handy for guys debating on how to tackle their first acoustic.

Peace,Rich

Thank you all for your kind words! I hope to learn much more from you all and build some beautiful instruments in the future.

Rich:

It was a great expirience. There is a lot more work involved than I would have expected. Even though you have some of the main guts of the guitar, there is still a lot of fabrication work to be done. Everything from shaping and installing kerfed linings and braces all the way to scraping the entire guitar to preparing and installing frets. Depending on how much time and care you put into it you will find more or fewer issues. But I must say, stew mac gives you a great starting place with quality woods and discernable directions.

After I complete my current projects (Fretless Tele, Midi or Variax Strat, Carved top Les Paul) I plan on making another acoustic in the future, this time a 9 or 12 string. I haven't decided yet. The 9 String gives you that extra belllike quality without to much extra hassle, but a 12 string is a must in a guitar collection. I am so torn. :D Too bad I'll have to do both I guess!

Edited by phoenix_rising

Lovely burst - reminds me a lot of my Les Paul. I had to go with a dark burst to hide a booboo in the routing, and ended up likeing the dark burst way more than the original lighter cherry burst.

To get rid of the wetsanding gunk, try reaching in through the soundhole and using a scraper to clear away the gunk. Unless it's pentrated into the mape, if should clean right up with a sharp scraper.

Lovely burst - reminds me a lot of my Les Paul. I had to go with a dark burst to hide a booboo in the routing, and ended up likeing the dark burst way more than the original lighter cherry burst.

To get rid of the wetsanding gunk, try reaching in through the soundhole and using a scraper to clear away the gunk. Unless it's pentrated into the mape, if should clean right up with a sharp scraper.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will give that a try. Time to try out my new cabinet scrapers! :D: