Attention Bassists! Which Ampeg Cab?

weaponepsilon

• 4 weeks later...
I need everyones opinion between these two 410s I want to buy. Do you think that this Nonported one is good or this Ported one. Mind you there is about $100 difference in price .

its an old post but what the hell. I'm new here anyway.......

how much power is pumping through the cabs???? this is the key question

sealed bass cabs are more acurate in the sound they produce but require more power to get the sound you want..

thats the main reason ported bass cab are so popular, they work better with less power. the ports produce false tones and volume but at the cost of the acurate sound.... save the money and get the ported bass cabs

The B-410HLF has better speakers. They have more power handling, but also a higher sensitivity 99db vs the B-410HE which has a sensitivity of 95db and lower power handling. Max SPL is 125db on the HLF, and 118db. on the HE. Your paying more for the speakers, and the difference in efficiency of 4db. @1w/1m is huge. Cheap speakers are generally either low efficiency and/or low power handling. If you increase the efficiency your cost goes up fast, but it is worth it IMO. A common rule of thumb used to be that you add about 1db. of efficiency @1w/1m for every extra speaker you add to an enclosure. If you use that generic rule of thumb(and it is generic) you would have to have 8 of the speakers that are in the HE in a cabnet to get the same efficiency as the HLF. That is an old theory, you may want to double check with guys who are more up on their speakers than me.

Either way you need to drive either cab with plenty of power. The HLF is going to give you more output per. watt because the efficiency is higher(the speakers are not the same).

Peace,Rich

I was going to be running my Ampeg B2 head thought it but now I not so sure. I was told by a professional bassist that my rig doesnt matter, its the guy at the sound board. Even I get a First Act from Walmart or a Goliath from SWR the guy whose doing sound could easily make the cheaper one sound leagues better.

The funny thing is that the ported bass cab is more expensive than the one thats non ported

I was going to be running my Ampeg B2 head thought it but now I not so sure. I was told by a professional bassist that my rig doesnt matter, its the guy at the sound board. Even I get a First Act from Walmart or a Goliath from SWR the guy whose doing sound could easily make the cheaper one sound leagues better.

The funny thing is that the ported bass cab is more expensive than the one thats non ported

wow. its been years since I have looked at prices.. I guess they are charging for the port tuning now...

Look at the specs. The Ported cabnet has different speakers, price speakers and you will see why there is a difference in the price of the cabnets. The ports are not what is making one more expensive or cheaper.

Depending on where you are playing your friend is right. If you are playing a venue of any size, your going through the board. If you run direct you won't even need a cabnet. If you are micing or some combination of miced/direct you would probably do just as well with a small amp. Now if your playing small venues or where you do not have a good house PA, then you are probably using your own rig, and this is where one of these cabs is handy. You are not likely to ever need an amp bigger than say 3-400watts and a little cabnet like the ones your looking at. The only time that is going to be under powered is some sort of big open air event, at which point you would need a whole lot more power(more than you want to lug around to small venues). At a venue of any size at all, trying to use stage amps to get a decent mix doesn't cut it.

Peace,Rich