Les Paul Violin

I saw this post earlier at work and I couldn't respond, but now that I have the chance..

This is probably the coolest body mod idea I've ever seen. : ) I'm a big fan of both guitar and violin, and this is one sweet way to bring one style to the other. Maybe you should make a Les Paul shaped violin next? I love the dark browns, too.

About 'Guitar del Violino', though. While I know that is a completely accurate term, that combination of words (am I the only one that worries about stuff like this?) seems a little crude. It seems to me (even though it is accurate) like the sort of thing that someone would just make up (like 'shirtito del mall-o, or 'hotdog con mustard-o') in a mocking manner of Spanish or Italian. I have nothing against the idea, I think I'd just go for something a little more... fluid.

Anyways, it rocks nonetheless! :O Where is the BOW DOWN AND WORSHIP emoticon when you need it? :D

Well it is a les paul body, how can i make it a les paul violin? :D ill see what i can do. I'm definitly gonna build some more violin shape guitars :D

I just got a violin bow and i've been playing it on my semi-hollow. B) so it'll match ahaha.

Thanks for the comments :D

Ya i wasnt sure about the guitar del violino, its italian and its actually translated like that, but i see what you mean, i dont think i'll put that, prob just SPINA (my last name) and the design.

Randomly cruising the forums when your guitar popped into my head and suddenly it struck me - If you can't have a violin headstock, how about making some custom tuner pegs that look like tuning pegs on a violin?

pegs.jpg

I was thinking about that :D how can i go about doing that?

Most tuners have a screw that holds the paddle/grip/part you turn onto the tuner itself. If you unscrew that, you can put something else on it - gummy bears, marshmallows, anything that fits in it's place. You could either make your own, or go to a music store and get some actual violin pegs, and then just cut the shaft off and drill them out to fit (probably the easiest). Regular violin pegs would be too big to chop and swap, but if you ask for 3/4 size, or whatever is available for smaller violins (think children's size), I'm sure they'd have something that would work nicely.

Of course, you could probably just buy some black tuners with oval paddles (what is the proper term for these, lol?), and that'd look pretty close from the get-go. I don't think stanard LP style tuners would look very good on your project. But that's just me.

PTModIT - I prefer spacecowboy's body style more (personal preference), but I think the peg-box tuner setup you have there is a pretty cool design. Bravo!

You know, when I first saw the title of this one, I cringed and moved on. So I'm really surprised at how good this one is turning out. Really like the 'paint' job you've done.

I don't know if you've moved on to the lacquer part yet, but I really think you should stick with the theme and use a violin lacquer. It's the only thing that will maintain that 'old violin' look. Anything else is going to look wrong.

Also, for the headstock, I like it that you kept more of a Les Paul shape to it --going too far into a scroll would turn the guitar into kitsch.

WOW! im so glad everyones likes it :D

I started the laquer already im almost done. I have ****ing runs though its annoying i tried sanding it out but for some reason its not working. i'll post a picture

I did aerosol SATIN laquer so its not glossy (looks more violin finish).

Thanks i'll try out those peg ideas :D