Acoustic Woods On An Electric

Aside from price, is there any reason woods that are traditionally used on acoustics aren't used for solid body guitars, or even semi- & as tops for chambered? It would seem to me that if spruce & cedar are great tone woods for an acoustic, they would be great for an electric, especially a semi- / chambered body.

Any input ot experience?

Edited by avengers63

Aside from price, is there any reason woods that are traditionally used on acoustics aren't used for solid body guitars, or even semi- & as tops for chambered? It would seem to me that if spruce & cedar are great tone woods for an acoustic, they would be great for an electric, especially a semi- / chambered body.

Any input ot experience?

fbass- alain carron

semi hollow spruce top with f-holes;

sounds amazing; some only have peizos;

i made one of the same idea for a top and will finish it someday; my boss wants to spray bowling lane finish onit so its a rock; cause i told him i worry about the area over the chambers;

but its soo boring; if you want acoustic properties build an acoustic; besides thats what takes real skill....... which is why i have not made one!

Happens all the time. Some of the parkers are fully solidbody spruce... my first guitar, a semi-hollow which there's a tutorial for floating around here somewhere, was spruce topped, and acoustic top bought from Gilmer. David Myka builds "electrics" (his dragonfly series) which are REALLY cool, many featuring solid spruce tops. He's also done some chambered electrics with spruce as high up on the "tonewood" lovability scale as Adirondack spruce. So there is by no means anything that says you can't. It's done all the time.

Chris