Jatoba Fretboard

Hey guys,

I just picked up a 4/4 jatoba board that looks like it'd be perfect for fretboards and necks. I've noticed that most of the threads that I found in search that dealt with jatoba only said it would be good for neck laminants, but none say anything about using it for an entire neck or or fretboards. I have a large bandsaw, and a great resawing blade so that will be no problem, I just want to know if jatoba would be good for 1 piece necks and fretboards

Thanks

carousel

Hey guys,

I just picked up a 4/4 jatoba board that looks like it'd be perfect for fretboards and necks. I've noticed that most of the threads that I found in search that dealt with jatoba only said it would be good for neck laminants, but none say anything about using it for an entire neck or or fretboards. I have a large bandsaw, and a great resawing blade so that will be no problem, I just want to know if jatoba would be good for 1 piece necks and fretboards

Thanks

carousel

Jatoba is very hard and heavy. It should make a fine fretboard. It will make a pretty stiff, heavy neck but I am not telling you anything you wouldn't already know. Good is subjective. Personally it wouldn't fit my builds as more than a thin laminate unless it possibly was a bass.

Peace,Rich

thanks guys, I'm gonna be making a few electrics i think...

but I'm slowly getting my stuff ready for acoustics i have the go bar deck and I have a heating blanket coming in the mail from omega i should get that build going later in the month. well, i think im gonna go make a few fretboards now, yesterday i made 3 birdseye maple boards now I'm gonna make 3 jatobas. Oh yea and by "good" i mean will it yield a fretboard of decent quality that someone would want to play.