Wiring Questions!

weekendofsound

So I recently started putting together a project guitar, and I have a very limited understanding of the wiring aspect.

what I'd like to do is basically put together two separate wiring diagrams-

I want the humbucker to go on and off,

and two p-90s that are the standard on/all/on,

and for both types to have their own volume/tone pots.

and I don't know how I would do this?

Look up whatever diagram that suits your situation here: Guitar Electronics

Do you plan on using three P-90's or two? Let's say you wanted to use two, and tone and volume for them plus a switch. As far as I can remember, P-90's are single-coil, so you'll need a single-coil schematic, like this:

2 single coils, 3-way lever switch, 1 volume, 1 tone. Typical Tele style guitar wiring

Interesting question. I'm wondering if you could actually just wire it up as a 2 P90 config with 2 tones and two volumes, then run the HB to one of the sets of controls, and add a kilswitch which will knock the P90s out of the loop. I'm by no means a wiring expert, I'm just spitballing.

I'm sure you've looked into the Seymour Duncan website for options too.

Seymour Duncan wiring diagrams

I'm no wiring guru, but I think this may work:

1-Find a diagram of the 2 p90 + pickup selector + volume + tone setup.

2-Find a diagram of a 1 humbucker + volume + tone setup

3-Instead of sending the final signals to the output, send them to a three way pickup selector switch, and send the signal of that switch to the output

That way, the final switch positions would be (p90 circuit)/(both circuits)/(humbucker alone).

Could someone confirm that this would work? If so, it sounds like what the OP was asking for.

yeah, p-90s are single coil.

well, i wanted to have the humbucker go in and out however I wanted, but I realized that the volume control should do that (I have an unusual guitar where the volume has very little bearing on the volume. I might also need to resauter something, but the only potential thing shouldn't have any influence)

But the p-90s are a standard set (bridge + neck), not a middle and a neck, so I wanted to have those go through the switch, but NOT the humbucker.

this is how I PRESUME it'd go (without listing the ground, which I need some help with), and I KNOW I'm a little confused about how the capacitors attatch.

hum----------vol--------------------------out

| /

tone /

p90b----------------switch---vol------/

p90n----------------/ |

tone

Theoretically thinking, I think this would work:

Neck p-90 -> Volume Pot 1 -> 3-way switch -> Tone Pot 1 -> Capacitor 1 -> Output Jack

Humbucker -> Volume Pot 2 -> Tone Pot 2 -> Capacitor 1 -> Output Jack

Bridge p-90 -> Volume Pot 1 -> 3-way switch -> Tone Pot 1 -> Capacitor 1 -> Output Jack

So that both p-90's are controlled by "Volume Pot 1", and the humbucker by "Volume Pot 2". The p-90's go through the switch, making the neutral switch position (in the middle) use both of them, and the alternative positions use one pickup each. Also 1 tone pot for the p-90's and one for the humbuckers (you could probably use 1 for all of them if you wanted) and a capacitor (or many if you want) to remove noise, then it goes to the output jack.

This way, you can totally remove the humbucker at the start by just turning its volume down to zero, and flip to any of the p-90's and play just one of them, or just the humbucker by turning down the p-90's volume.

Edited by Gingah

Theoretically thinking, I think this would work:

Neck p-90 -> Volume Pot 1 -> 3-way switch -> Tone Pot 1 -> Capacitor 1 -> Output Jack

Humbucker -> Volume Pot 2 -> Tone Pot 2 -> Capacitor 1 -> Output Jack

Bridge p-90 -> Volume Pot 1 -> 3-way switch -> Tone Pot 1 -> Capacitor 1 -> Output Jack

So that both p-90's are controlled by "Volume Pot 1", and the humbucker by "Volume Pot 2". The p-90's go through the switch, making the neutral switch position (in the middle) use both of them, and the alternative positions use one pickup each. Also 1 tone pot for the p-90's and one for the humbuckers (you could probably use 1 for all of them if you wanted) and a capacitor (or many if you want) to remove noise, then it goes to the output jack.

This way, you can totally remove the humbucker at the start by just turning its volume down to zero, and flip to any of the p-90's and play just one of them, or just the humbucker by turning down the p-90's volume.

this is... amazing, and I greatly appreciate that you took time to help!

So, the humbucker capacitor would be connected to the tone pot, correct?

I got orange drop caps from someplace, and the ratings were uh... .33uF for the p90s and a .22uF for the humbuckerr

As far as my technology knowledge goes (thats to google.com), the capacitor could go anywhere in the chain, I just chose to have it after the tone pot to have a methodical view of the setup.

I am glad that it was of some help to you.